Hundreds of kids celebrated World Book Day by dressing up as their favourite story characters.
A series of events to encourage the love of reading took place last Thursday across schools, libraries and other venues in Newham and Tower Hamlets.
At Stratford Picture House children crammed into the Salway Road cinema to watch The Biggest Book Show On Earth, streamed live from the Queen Elizabeth Hall on the Southbank, where authors were reading their work.
At the Idea Store in Chrisp Street in Poplar author Jaylen Grace dropped in to entertain youngsters with readings from her book Omzak The Space Cat Warrior.
At Keir Hardie Primary School in Canning Town children and staff alike
You may also want to watch:
dressed up as their favourite book characters. In the different classes children shared their favourite stories, discovered ‘new’ authors, wrote book reviews and wrote stories themselves. An assembly was also held with prizes for the best dressed characters.
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 3 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 4 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 5 Artist plans window exhibition to put Newham's artistic talent on the map
- 6 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 7 West Ham forward Alisha Lehmann joins Everton on loan
- 8 'Clearly insufficient' - Canning Town teacher in charge of foodbank talks free school meal hampers
- 9 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 10 £10.1m grant strategy approved to support businesses as pandemic continues