Youth Council hone public speaking skills at University of Cambridge Union
The Young Mayor and Youth Council honed their public speaking skills last week at one of the most prestigious debating chambers in the UK.
Students from the Cambridge Union Society showed the aspiring politicians around the University of Cambridge to help them develop their analytical and research skills.
They also attended an evening debate entitled “Science has an undeserved monopoly on truth” in the same chamber where former Prime Minister Winston Churchill, former US president Ronald Reagan, and the Dalai Lama have all spoken.
Young Mayor Rebekah Dike said: “The power to persuade is highly respected and there is no better way to learn this than through debating.
“Learning from the students at Cambridge Union was an invaluable experience and the skills learnt will help me and the youth council get ahead.”
You may also want to watch:
The youth council are launching their Big Debate project over the coming months to try and get more young people into politics.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 3 Rape survivor awarded British Empire Medal for services to community in pandemic
- 4 Leyton Orient linked with Omar Beckles, Connor Wood and Paul Smyth
- 5 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 6 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 7 Woman dies in fire at Stratford home
- 8 Newham Muslim groups urge Boris Johnson to condemn attack in Canada
- 9 Leyton Orient sign defender Omar Beckles from Crewe Alexandra
- 10 Barking sign former Leyton Orient duo Elliott Omozusi and Charlie MacDonald