Young playwright from Leytonstone picked up by Stratford Theatre Royal
- Credit: Archant
Theatre Royal Stratford East will be staging a play by a first-time playwright this weekend starring its youngest actors.
STEP, a gritty drama about two teenagers leaving east London to start a new life at university, is written by Lynette Linton, a 23-year-old from Leytonstone.
Lynette’s script was picked up by the historic theatre in Gerry Raffles Square after she entered their new writing festival, Angelic Tales, in June.
Award-winning director Rikki Beadle-Blair developed the play with 12 performers aged 16 to 25 from Theatre Royal Stratford East’s Young Actor’s Company which helps young people gain hands-on experience in theatre.
She said: “When I agreed to taking STEP to the next level, I don’t think I was fully prepared on how much of a journey I would go on as a writer.
You may also want to watch:
“Working with Rikki-Beadle Blair and the Young Actor’s Company has been inspiring, exhausting, amazing and beautiful.
“I am working with some incredibly talented people and every day is a magical experience.”
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 'Clearly insufficient' - Canning Town teacher in charge of foodbank talks free school meal hampers
- 3 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 4 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 5 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 6 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 7 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 8 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 10 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
There will be four public performances of STEP, supported by The Act Foundation, at Theatre Royal Stratford East on Friday and Saturday at 2pm and 7.30pm.
Tickets are £6 / £4 concessions available at www.stratfordeast.com or by calling the Box Office on 020 8534 0310.