Young playwright from Leytonstone picked up by Stratford Theatre Royal
- Credit: Archant
Theatre Royal Stratford East will be staging a play by a first-time playwright this weekend starring its youngest actors.
STEP, a gritty drama about two teenagers leaving east London to start a new life at university, is written by Lynette Linton, a 23-year-old from Leytonstone.
Lynette’s script was picked up by the historic theatre in Gerry Raffles Square after she entered their new writing festival, Angelic Tales, in June.
Award-winning director Rikki Beadle-Blair developed the play with 12 performers aged 16 to 25 from Theatre Royal Stratford East’s Young Actor’s Company which helps young people gain hands-on experience in theatre.
She said: “When I agreed to taking STEP to the next level, I don’t think I was fully prepared on how much of a journey I would go on as a writer.
“Working with Rikki-Beadle Blair and the Young Actor’s Company has been inspiring, exhausting, amazing and beautiful.
“I am working with some incredibly talented people and every day is a magical experience.”
- 1 Stratford roof-terrace restaurant destroyed by late-night fire
- 2 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged and approved in Newham
- 3 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 4 Man dies after falling unwell in Stratford
- 5 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Newham
- 6 Man held in murder probe after woman fatally stabbed in Custom House
- 7 Man charged with fatal stabbing of woman in Custom House
- 8 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 9 'Unexplained': Man dies after being found unresponsive in Plashet Park
- 10 Wanted: Five people Newham police wish to speak to
There will be four public performances of STEP, supported by The Act Foundation, at Theatre Royal Stratford East on Friday and Saturday at 2pm and 7.30pm.
Tickets are £6 / £4 concessions available at www.stratfordeast.com or by calling the Box Office on 020 8534 0310.