Young Newham designers set for London Fashion Week bow
Two talented Newham fashionistas will see their designs paraded at this year’s London Fashion Week.
Aspiring designers Deana Joseph, 18, and Stephanie Perucho, 17, are shortlisted in the Fashion Awareness Direct (FAD) Junior Awards.
The winners of Tuesday’s final will secure a placement with show sponsors George at Asda.
The ceremony, at Freemasons Hall in Covent Garden, marks the end of weeks of Fashion Futures workshops - where they had just five days to complete their designs.
Finalists were taken from “inner-city” boroughs in London and Manchester. They were taught to develop the skills to research, design and create an original garment from scratch.
Stephanie, who attends St Angela’s and St Bonaventure’s sixth form college, paid tribute to the programme.
She said: “This has definitely taught me to have more confidence in myself and my work.”
- 1 School which has nine-hour days praised as 'outstanding'
- 2 Three in custody over knifepoint robbery in East Ham after foot chase
- 3 Seven men charged following cannabis factory fight
- 4 RideLondon 2022: East and central London roads among 100 miles of closures
- 5 Burrard Road stabbing: Plea date set for Custom House murder accused
- 6 Tossed cigarette in Chadwell Heath costs Beckton man almost £400
- 7 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in east London
- 8 Men jailed after violent beating with steering wheel lock caught on dashcam
- 9 Plaistow police officer to face GBH trial after man left paralysed
- 10 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
Newham College student Deana added: “It feels really amazing to be a finalist.
“When my name got called out I was really shocked to get selected because there were so many other beautiful designs that people had created.”