Young Newham designers set for London Fashion Week bow
Two talented Newham fashionistas will see their designs paraded at this year’s London Fashion Week.
Aspiring designers Deana Joseph, 18, and Stephanie Perucho, 17, are shortlisted in the Fashion Awareness Direct (FAD) Junior Awards.
The winners of Tuesday’s final will secure a placement with show sponsors George at Asda.
The ceremony, at Freemasons Hall in Covent Garden, marks the end of weeks of Fashion Futures workshops - where they had just five days to complete their designs.
Finalists were taken from “inner-city” boroughs in London and Manchester. They were taught to develop the skills to research, design and create an original garment from scratch.
You may also want to watch:
Stephanie, who attends St Angela’s and St Bonaventure’s sixth form college, paid tribute to the programme.
She said: “This has definitely taught me to have more confidence in myself and my work.”
- 1 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 6 Views sought on future of Newham as local plan set for refresh
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 9 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
Newham College student Deana added: “It feels really amazing to be a finalist.
“When my name got called out I was really shocked to get selected because there were so many other beautiful designs that people had created.”