Young Newham designers set for London Fashion Week bow
Two talented Newham fashionistas will see their designs paraded at this year’s London Fashion Week.
Aspiring designers Deana Joseph, 18, and Stephanie Perucho, 17, are shortlisted in the Fashion Awareness Direct (FAD) Junior Awards.
The winners of Tuesday’s final will secure a placement with show sponsors George at Asda.
The ceremony, at Freemasons Hall in Covent Garden, marks the end of weeks of Fashion Futures workshops - where they had just five days to complete their designs.
Finalists were taken from “inner-city” boroughs in London and Manchester. They were taught to develop the skills to research, design and create an original garment from scratch.
You may also want to watch:
Stephanie, who attends St Angela’s and St Bonaventure’s sixth form college, paid tribute to the programme.
She said: “This has definitely taught me to have more confidence in myself and my work.”
- 1 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 2 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 3 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 4 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 5 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 6 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 7 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 8 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 9 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 10 Meet the Olympians from east London and Brentwood
Newham College student Deana added: “It feels really amazing to be a finalist.
“When my name got called out I was really shocked to get selected because there were so many other beautiful designs that people had created.”