Young Newham designers set for London Fashion Week bow
Two talented Newham fashionistas will see their designs paraded at this year’s London Fashion Week.
Aspiring designers Deana Joseph, 18, and Stephanie Perucho, 17, are shortlisted in the Fashion Awareness Direct (FAD) Junior Awards.
The winners of Tuesday’s final will secure a placement with show sponsors George at Asda.
The ceremony, at Freemasons Hall in Covent Garden, marks the end of weeks of Fashion Futures workshops - where they had just five days to complete their designs.
Finalists were taken from “inner-city” boroughs in London and Manchester. They were taught to develop the skills to research, design and create an original garment from scratch.
You may also want to watch:
Stephanie, who attends St Angela’s and St Bonaventure’s sixth form college, paid tribute to the programme.
She said: “This has definitely taught me to have more confidence in myself and my work.”
- 1 Police officer to appear in court after death of man in East Ham
- 2 Clapton Community FC members demand 'Justice for Sami' outside Forest Gate Police Station
- 3 Second jabs hub opening at Westfield as ExCeL London vaccination centre soon to close
- 4 Stratford School Academy pupil helps launch fund in memory of Prince Philip
- 5 College teacher: Students and teachers 'lose trust' over government's Covid response
- 6 Pupils send 'awe-inspiring' accounts of pandemic into the future with time capsule
- 7 Hammers 'will keep fighting' says Fornals ahead of derby date
- 8 Feminism, corner shops and bricks: Here's what's happening in Newham Heritage Month
- 9 Community group founder calls for mandatory ethnic pay gap reporting
- 10 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
Newham College student Deana added: “It feels really amazing to be a finalist.
“When my name got called out I was really shocked to get selected because there were so many other beautiful designs that people had created.”