Young Newham designers set for London Fashion Week bow
Two talented Newham fashionistas will see their designs paraded at this year’s London Fashion Week.
Aspiring designers Deana Joseph, 18, and Stephanie Perucho, 17, are shortlisted in the Fashion Awareness Direct (FAD) Junior Awards.
The winners of Tuesday’s final will secure a placement with show sponsors George at Asda.
The ceremony, at Freemasons Hall in Covent Garden, marks the end of weeks of Fashion Futures workshops - where they had just five days to complete their designs.
Finalists were taken from “inner-city” boroughs in London and Manchester. They were taught to develop the skills to research, design and create an original garment from scratch.
You may also want to watch:
Stephanie, who attends St Angela’s and St Bonaventure’s sixth form college, paid tribute to the programme.
She said: “This has definitely taught me to have more confidence in myself and my work.”
- 1 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 2 Footage shows crowd piling onto train at Canning Town station
- 3 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 4 Newham's Covid-19 case rate 'huge' but there is 'light at end of the tunnel'
- 5 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 6 NHS Nightingale London opens to patients without Covid-19
- 7 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 8 Volunteers out to bust Covid jab myths and false conspiracy theories
- 9 Serial fraudster who set up fake real estate company jailed for six years
- 10 Barts apologises to family after death of Stratford woman
Newham College student Deana added: “It feels really amazing to be a finalist.
“When my name got called out I was really shocked to get selected because there were so many other beautiful designs that people had created.”