Young get into Olympic spirit
Pupils from six primary schools in the borough will be showing their Olympic spirit when they take part in multi-skills sports events next week (march 27).
They will all be taking part in the British Heart Foundation’s Flames: Lighting the way programme with the aim of creating young sports leaders.
As part of it, 140 school children from Avenue Primary, Ellen Wilkinson Primary, Gallions Primary, Lathom Junior, Kensington Primary, and St Michael’s Catholic Primary schools will compete in multi-skills sports events and take part in sports demonstrations. Prizes will be award to the top schools.
Run by Hearty Lives Newham, a partnership programme between NHS East London and the City, Newham Council and the British Heart Foundation, Flames equips young leaders with the skills to promote the Olympic and Paralympic values of friendship, courage, determination, excellence, equality, respect and the inspiration to motivate children and young people to become active.
The Festival will take place from 10.30am to 1.30pm on Tuesday March 27 2012 at Newham Leisure Centre, 281 Prince Regent Lane, Plaistow.
You may also want to watch:
One of the highlights of the Festival will be school children recreating the 1948 Olympic torch relay using Loughborough College’s Olympic torch.
- 1 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 2 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 3 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 4 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 8 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 9 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 10 Stevenage and Leyton Orient still searching for a victory after stalemate at the Lamex