Young East Ham runner trains with Olympian Sally Gunnell
Aspiring athlete and East Ham schoolboy Kane Drysdale demonstrated his running talent for Olympian Sally Gunnell.
The promising sportsman was picked for a group of 15 young athletes from all over the UK to take part in the McCain Home Grown Talent Winners’ Day in Birmingham.
Spotted at the Newham McCain Track and Field Road Show in 2010, Kane got the chance to train with first class athlete ambassadors and UK Athletics (UKA) coaches.
Olympic gold medallist Sally Gunnell was also on hand to offer her expertise and Kane tried out the high jump with GB and NI International Matt Roberts.
Sally, who is also a McCain UKA Ambassador, said: “It was great to get all these talented young athletes together and give them the opportunity to train at such top class facilities.
You may also want to watch:
“I was so pleased to see some familiar faces and hear about the young athletes’ progress and how they have benefited from the McCain Home Grown Talent scheme.
“I’ll be watching out for these youngsters in a few years’ time.”
- 1 Plans for new West Ham Park playground approved
- 2 Air ambulance lands in East Ham
- 3 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 4 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 5 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 6 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 7 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 8 West Ham United light up London Stadium for Holocaust Memorial Day 2021
- 9 West Ham forward Alisha Lehmann joins Everton on loan
- 10 Artist plans window exhibition to put Newham's artistic talent on the map
Bill Bartlett, corporate affairs director at McCain, said: “We started supporting some of the athletes more than a year ago and it is great to hear how they developed.
“There were a lot of passionate youngsters on the track today and seeing them train hard with Sally Gunnell and embrace something new in high jump was a pleasure.”
McCain launched their Home Grown Talent Scheme in 2010, offering winners like Kane one year membership for their local athletics club.