Woodgrange Infant School expansion underway
- Credit: Archant
The expansion of Woodgrange Infant School in Forest Gate is underway.
The school in Sebert Road is being extended from three to four form entry as part of Newham Council’s Primary School Expansion Programme to meet the growing demand for primary school places in the borough.
Thirty additional places will be available in reception and years one and two, increasing the number of children in each year group from 90 to 120.
Builders began working on the new reception classroom about two weeks ago. It should be ready for the intake of new pupils in September, with the whole project expected to be finished by Easter 2015.
Under the extension plans, the school will gain three new classrooms, a new main entrance and reception lobby, new offices and a staffroom, as well as another nursery classroom, improved storage facilities in the school hall and refurbished spaces for group work.
You may also want to watch:
The school will also benefit from enhanced security, new landscaping in the school grounds and a “joined-up” nursery and reception play space.
Headteacher Sarah Soyler said it was an exciting time for pupils, parents and staff to be a part of.
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 3 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 4 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 5 Leyton Orient boss is expecting more transfer movement in the window
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 8 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 9 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 10 We're not promising anything we can't deliver says West Ham boss David Moyes
“What started out as creating three new classrooms has become much more than that, with a lot of time and money being put into the school,” she said. “Quite a significant part of the building will be a 21st century building which will benefit the whole community.”
Part of the playground has been taken up by the builders’ compound but the school woodland has been opened up as a new play area for the duration of the extension work and beyond.
Other Newham schools set to be expanded under the council’s programme include Altmore Infant School and Lathom Junior School, both in East Ham, Curwen Primary School, in Plaistow, John F Kennedy Special School, in Stratford, and Ravenscroft Primary School, in Canning Town.