Upton Park fundraiser, seven, campaigns for GCSE in Albanian language
- Credit: Archant
People raise money for good causes in a variety of exhausting, fun or unusual ways. Few children’s fundraisers involve reading, especially in Albanian but that is exactly what Kevin Nuzi has pledged to.
The seven-year-old, a pupil at St Edwards Catholic Primary School, in Upton Park, has committed himself to reading 20 bilingual books in English and Albanian in a campaign to get the Albanian language recognised as a GCSE.
The campaign has to raise £100,000 and Kevin has already reached above his target of £2,000 by reading three of the 20 books in the two languages. The remaining 17 books have been packed into his holiday suitcase.
Kevin said: “My brother and sister and lots of their British Albanian friends have learned Albanian since they were little like me. Since 2007 they have worked hard to run a campaign to get a recognised qualification for it and register the beautiful Albanian language as a GCSE.
“I presented last year at Houses of Commons and this year I participated in an event at Houses of Parliament on June 5 to support the campaign . Now I am big enough to work harder and raise some of the money by myself, so when I grow up not only I will be able to take the exam but I can truly say “I have worked hard for it.””
You may also want to watch:
For more details on the funding campaign, go to justgiving.com/luljeta-nuzi
- 1 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 2 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 3 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 4 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 5 Flights from London City Airport to Switzerland resume as hub readies for return to international travel
- 6 Two Levels FC youngsters seal deals with Football League clubs
- 7 Stratford fast food shop destroyed by 'deep fat fryer' blaze
- 8 Mayor pledges to continue focus on election promises after Newham referendum result
- 9 Pearce believes camaraderie has given West Ham a chance of making Europe
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation