UEL student turns pro for a day
Living the dream
UEL sports journalism student Chris Deacon has lived the dream... playing on the hallowed Wembley stadium turf.
The 20-year-old with an eye on a radio presenting career won a writing competition which won him his big day.
He got to go through all the motions of a professional footballer, with a team talk, pre-match warm up, walking out of the famous tunnel onto the pitch, singing the national anthem and playing as goalkeeper in a match.
Chris and two dozen other winners of the Vauxhall Football-hosted Big Pitch competition played under the coaching of former Chelsea assistant manager Ray Wilkinson in a match that included team member Ronnie Irani from talkSport,
You may also want to watch:
Speaking about the experience later, Chris from Bushey Heath, Hertfordshire, said: “It was an amazing and unforgettable day.”
- 1 Police officer to appear in court after death of man in East Ham
- 2 Clapton Community FC members demand 'Justice for Sami' outside Forest Gate Police Station
- 3 Second jabs hub opening at Westfield as ExCeL London vaccination centre soon to close
- 4 Stratford School Academy pupil helps launch fund in memory of Prince Philip
- 5 College teacher: Students and teachers 'lose trust' over government's Covid response
- 6 Hammers 'will keep fighting' says Fornals ahead of derby date
- 7 Pupils send 'awe-inspiring' accounts of pandemic into the future with time capsule
- 8 Feminism, corner shops and bricks: Here's what's happening in Newham Heritage Month
- 9 Community group founder calls for mandatory ethnic pay gap reporting
- 10 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate