UEL student to design for Asda after winning top fashion prize
A University of East London student won a top prize at Graduate Fashion Week, putting her designs in a major supermarket.
Susanna Yi, 23, won the “Best of British” award at student showcase in Earl’s Court, winning a �1,000 cash prize and the opportunity to design a collection for George at Asda.
She said, “London is a fashion metropolis and my education at UEL has been amazing - the opportunities offered to me have been second to none.
“Having moved from Germany, I have been living here for two years and am delighted to have won this award. The East End and London 2012 have provided me with wonderful inspiration for my ideas and designs.”
Second year students were asked to design three outfits to represent the area around their university.
Susanna said her clothes were inspired by the contrast of the historic docks with contemporary riverside apartments and Canary Wharf business district.
Caryl Court, senior lecturer on UEL’s Fashion Design course, said: “This is the first time George at Asda has run a second year competition and I am delighted that Susanna has won it.
- 1 School which has nine-hour days praised as 'outstanding'
- 2 Men jailed after violent beating with steering wheel lock caught on dashcam
- 3 Remembering speedway at West Ham Stadium 50 years on
- 4 Seven men charged following cannabis factory fight
- 5 Stratford roof-terrace restaurant destroyed by late-night fire
- 6 'Immensely gratifying': Newham college celebrates upping Ofsted grade
- 7 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 8 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 9 Man dies after falling unwell in Stratford
- 10 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged and approved in Newham
“She is committed and hard working and really deserved her success.
“Winning competitions is not only good for the individual students, but great for Fashion at UEL, as it inspires the other students to showcase their collections at GFW too. A great inspiration all round.”