UEL student to design for Asda after winning top fashion prize
A University of East London student won a top prize at Graduate Fashion Week, putting her designs in a major supermarket.
Susanna Yi, 23, won the “Best of British” award at student showcase in Earl’s Court, winning a �1,000 cash prize and the opportunity to design a collection for George at Asda.
She said, “London is a fashion metropolis and my education at UEL has been amazing - the opportunities offered to me have been second to none.
“Having moved from Germany, I have been living here for two years and am delighted to have won this award. The East End and London 2012 have provided me with wonderful inspiration for my ideas and designs.”
Second year students were asked to design three outfits to represent the area around their university.
You may also want to watch:
Susanna said her clothes were inspired by the contrast of the historic docks with contemporary riverside apartments and Canary Wharf business district.
Caryl Court, senior lecturer on UEL’s Fashion Design course, said: “This is the first time George at Asda has run a second year competition and I am delighted that Susanna has won it.
- 1 Tributes to 'hero' charity founder who dedicated life to Newham children
- 2 Former boxer compared feet with Prince Philip during visit to club
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
- 5 Officers donate Easter eggs to hospitals
- 6 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff full of praise for Cheltenham Town after loss
- 7 Mural sparks criticism after 'crime and murders' describe North Woolwich
- 8 Newham men who bought BMW M5 in £112,000 fraud sentenced
- 9 David Moyes salutes loyal Mark Noble ahead of his 400th West Ham match
- 10 Plans for industrial hub, shipyard and homes on Albert Island approved
“She is committed and hard working and really deserved her success.
“Winning competitions is not only good for the individual students, but great for Fashion at UEL, as it inspires the other students to showcase their collections at GFW too. A great inspiration all round.”