UEL student to design for Asda after winning top fashion prize
A University of East London student won a top prize at Graduate Fashion Week, putting her designs in a major supermarket.
Susanna Yi, 23, won the “Best of British” award at student showcase in Earl’s Court, winning a �1,000 cash prize and the opportunity to design a collection for George at Asda.
She said, “London is a fashion metropolis and my education at UEL has been amazing - the opportunities offered to me have been second to none.
“Having moved from Germany, I have been living here for two years and am delighted to have won this award. The East End and London 2012 have provided me with wonderful inspiration for my ideas and designs.”
Second year students were asked to design three outfits to represent the area around their university.
You may also want to watch:
Susanna said her clothes were inspired by the contrast of the historic docks with contemporary riverside apartments and Canary Wharf business district.
Caryl Court, senior lecturer on UEL’s Fashion Design course, said: “This is the first time George at Asda has run a second year competition and I am delighted that Susanna has won it.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 3 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 4 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 5 High Court judge rules no further action needed over embargo breach by Newham company boss
- 6 Carpenters Estate neighbours to vote on redevelopment plans
- 7 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 8 Can you help find man missing from Royal Docks?
- 9 Ricardo Fuller death: Men from Dagenham and Plaistow wanted in connection
- 10 Man suffers 'life-changing' injuries in Plaistow bicycle crash
“She is committed and hard working and really deserved her success.
“Winning competitions is not only good for the individual students, but great for Fashion at UEL, as it inspires the other students to showcase their collections at GFW too. A great inspiration all round.”