UEL student to design for Asda after winning top fashion prize
A University of East London student won a top prize at Graduate Fashion Week, putting her designs in a major supermarket.
Susanna Yi, 23, won the “Best of British” award at student showcase in Earl’s Court, winning a �1,000 cash prize and the opportunity to design a collection for George at Asda.
She said, “London is a fashion metropolis and my education at UEL has been amazing - the opportunities offered to me have been second to none.
“Having moved from Germany, I have been living here for two years and am delighted to have won this award. The East End and London 2012 have provided me with wonderful inspiration for my ideas and designs.”
Second year students were asked to design three outfits to represent the area around their university.
You may also want to watch:
Susanna said her clothes were inspired by the contrast of the historic docks with contemporary riverside apartments and Canary Wharf business district.
Caryl Court, senior lecturer on UEL’s Fashion Design course, said: “This is the first time George at Asda has run a second year competition and I am delighted that Susanna has won it.
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 'Clearly insufficient' - Canning Town teacher in charge of foodbank talks free school meal hampers
- 3 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 4 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 5 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 6 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 7 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
- 8 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 10 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
“She is committed and hard working and really deserved her success.
“Winning competitions is not only good for the individual students, but great for Fashion at UEL, as it inspires the other students to showcase their collections at GFW too. A great inspiration all round.”