UEL student to design for Asda after winning top fashion prize
A University of East London student won a top prize at Graduate Fashion Week, putting her designs in a major supermarket.
Susanna Yi, 23, won the “Best of British” award at student showcase in Earl’s Court, winning a �1,000 cash prize and the opportunity to design a collection for George at Asda.
She said, “London is a fashion metropolis and my education at UEL has been amazing - the opportunities offered to me have been second to none.
“Having moved from Germany, I have been living here for two years and am delighted to have won this award. The East End and London 2012 have provided me with wonderful inspiration for my ideas and designs.”
Second year students were asked to design three outfits to represent the area around their university.
You may also want to watch:
Susanna said her clothes were inspired by the contrast of the historic docks with contemporary riverside apartments and Canary Wharf business district.
Caryl Court, senior lecturer on UEL’s Fashion Design course, said: “This is the first time George at Asda has run a second year competition and I am delighted that Susanna has won it.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Player ratings: Cresswell shines for West Ham in KRC Genk victory
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
“She is committed and hard working and really deserved her success.
“Winning competitions is not only good for the individual students, but great for Fashion at UEL, as it inspires the other students to showcase their collections at GFW too. A great inspiration all round.”