UEL scoop medals in university Olympics awards
The University of East London scooped two awards and is nominated for a third for their role in delivering the Olympics in Stratford.
With campuses in Stratford and the Docklands, UEL won two bronze medals in the Podium Awards, a one-off celebration recognising the role colleges and universities have played in making sure the 2012 Games are a success.
UEL won a bronze medal in the British Council Award for Innovative International Collaboration for their Games Time partnership with Team USA.
They won a second bronze medal for the Research Councils UK Award for Exceptional Research Contribution for their London-Rio: Olympic Cities work into the Olympic and Paralympic Legacy for mega event host cities.
UEL is also a supporting partner for the Inter College Festival of Sport, nominated for a gold medal in the Award for Outstanding Sporting Project, which is a joint initiative with nine Olympic borough colleges.
You may also want to watch:
UEL Vice-Chancellor Professor Patrick McGhee said: “I’m delighted Podium has recognised the vital role IEL is playing in the London 2012 Games on an operational level and the fantastic research we are also contributing to the Olympic community.
“This is yet further evidence that UEL is well on track in its bid to become the number one university for sport in London by 2015.”
- 1 Traffic cameras installed to catch Newham drivers who ignore road signs
- 2 Foodbank offering lifeline to foreign students left destitute by pandemic
- 3 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 4 Parking charges, Covid, unneutered cats and driving into London
- 5 Eight-year-old girl from Canning Town publishes book to help children with grief
- 6 Man arrested after car smashes into house in Maryland
- 7 Plans for special needs hub at Little Ilford School given green light
- 8 Upminster killer boasted about hacking teen to death with machete in street
- 9 Person found dead on tracks at Plaistow Underground station
- 10 Guilty: Men from Forest Gate and East Ham who raped two women during brothel robbery
The good news comes in the same week that their �21 million sports and leisure facility SportsDock opened which will be a training ground for Team USA during the Games.
The Podium Awards will be present at an awards evening on Thursday May 3.