UEL scoop medals in university Olympics awards
The University of East London scooped two awards and is nominated for a third for their role in delivering the Olympics in Stratford.
With campuses in Stratford and the Docklands, UEL won two bronze medals in the Podium Awards, a one-off celebration recognising the role colleges and universities have played in making sure the 2012 Games are a success.
UEL won a bronze medal in the British Council Award for Innovative International Collaboration for their Games Time partnership with Team USA.
They won a second bronze medal for the Research Councils UK Award for Exceptional Research Contribution for their London-Rio: Olympic Cities work into the Olympic and Paralympic Legacy for mega event host cities.
UEL is also a supporting partner for the Inter College Festival of Sport, nominated for a gold medal in the Award for Outstanding Sporting Project, which is a joint initiative with nine Olympic borough colleges.
You may also want to watch:
UEL Vice-Chancellor Professor Patrick McGhee said: “I’m delighted Podium has recognised the vital role IEL is playing in the London 2012 Games on an operational level and the fantastic research we are also contributing to the Olympic community.
“This is yet further evidence that UEL is well on track in its bid to become the number one university for sport in London by 2015.”
- 1 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA, by-election and referendum
- 3 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 4 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
- 5 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 6 Fly-tippers dump loft insulation, building waste and sink on Wanstead Flats
- 7 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 8 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 9 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 10 Elections: London mayor and Assembly member, East Ham cllr and referendum
The good news comes in the same week that their �21 million sports and leisure facility SportsDock opened which will be a training ground for Team USA during the Games.
The Podium Awards will be present at an awards evening on Thursday May 3.