UEL scoop medals in university Olympics awards
The University of East London scooped two awards and is nominated for a third for their role in delivering the Olympics in Stratford.
With campuses in Stratford and the Docklands, UEL won two bronze medals in the Podium Awards, a one-off celebration recognising the role colleges and universities have played in making sure the 2012 Games are a success.
UEL won a bronze medal in the British Council Award for Innovative International Collaboration for their Games Time partnership with Team USA.
They won a second bronze medal for the Research Councils UK Award for Exceptional Research Contribution for their London-Rio: Olympic Cities work into the Olympic and Paralympic Legacy for mega event host cities.
UEL is also a supporting partner for the Inter College Festival of Sport, nominated for a gold medal in the Award for Outstanding Sporting Project, which is a joint initiative with nine Olympic borough colleges.
UEL Vice-Chancellor Professor Patrick McGhee said: “I’m delighted Podium has recognised the vital role IEL is playing in the London 2012 Games on an operational level and the fantastic research we are also contributing to the Olympic community.
“This is yet further evidence that UEL is well on track in its bid to become the number one university for sport in London by 2015.”
- 1 Man charged with Beckton murder as victim named
- 2 Guilty: Man murdered woman at bus stop and tried to kill another a day later
- 3 Maryland machete murderer found guilty - as police hunt second attacker
- 4 3 arrests after death of man found unresponsive in Beckton
- 5 Jailed: Forest Gate serial arsonist who started more than two dozen fires
- 6 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 7 Revealed: Cause of terraced houses blaze in East Ham
- 8 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 9 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 10 Have you seen Lisa, 47, who is missing from Forest Gate?
The good news comes in the same week that their �21 million sports and leisure facility SportsDock opened which will be a training ground for Team USA during the Games.
The Podium Awards will be present at an awards evening on Thursday May 3.