UEL offers Newham students �3,000 to study at home
The University of East London is offering a special bursary to help young people in Newham afford higher education.
UEL has partnered up with Newham College, NewVIc and St Angela’s and St Bonaventure’s Sixth Form College to promote the first year of the UEL National Scholarship Programme (NSP) Bursary.
Under the NSP Bursary, home students from partner schools who select UEL as their first choice whose household income is less than �25,000 a year can receive �1,000 in cash in their first year and a further �2,000 in credits to pay for books, materials, accommodation and travel.
Selena Bolingbroke, UEL pro vice-chancellor, said: “UEL will double its spending on bursaries, scholarships and outreach work with hard to reach communities over the next four years.
“We are giving our students bursaries rather than fee waivers because they put cash into their pockets when they it the most - especially if they don’t have access to the bank of mum and dad.”
You may also want to watch:
The UEL Open Day will be held on both the Stratford and Docklands campuses today from 4pm to 7pm where there will be staff on hand to answer questions about student finance.
To book a placce, contact UEL on 0208 223 3333 or visit www.uel.ac.uk/openday/.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 3 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 4 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 5 Average house price in Newham slides again after record February
- 6 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 7 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 8 Plaistow woman shaves her head for charities
- 9 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 10 Chief nurse of England praises Newham specialist school nurses