UEL designer dresses Matilda show youngsters
A talented fashion designer spent a day at school- watching youngsters wearing his creations as they took part in a show.
University of East London student Marco Duarte was chosen to design costumes for one of Roald Dahl’s best loved shows -‘Matilda’.
The show was performed by young children aged 10-11years old at Roman Road Primary School in East Ham.
Marco, 21, who is currently studying Fashion Design at UEL, enjoys tailoring and making having undertaken internships at Chanel in Paris and retail high street store COS. His favourite fashion designer house is Meadham Kirchhoff who are famous for their theatrical and highly creative fashion shows.
In his work, Marco has been inspired by men’s tailoring, particularly during the early 19th century and the prominence of Dandyism. He has always been inspired by costume, design and musicals with a passion for the famous ‘West End’ shows such as Phantom of the Opera and Wicked. He said: “To design the costumes for ‘Matilda’, I watched the film for ideas. I also went to watch the West End show and I was also lucky enough to meet with the Costume Team backstage and draw inspiration. I have made numerous sketches and will be working with fabrics such as cottons and wools.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr. Mahmood, Headteacher at Roman Road Primary School said: “We are delighted with Marco’s work, which is why we have selected him again this year. It is great to work with such a talented designer and our pupils here love dressing up in his costumes.”
- 1 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 2 Footage shows crowd piling onto train at Canning Town station
- 3 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 4 Newham's Covid-19 case rate 'huge' but there is 'light at end of the tunnel'
- 5 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 6 NHS Nightingale London opens to patients without Covid-19
- 7 Volunteers out to bust Covid jab myths and false conspiracy theories
- 8 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 9 NHS 'concerned' about Covid vaccine uptake in Newham
- 10 Serial fraudster who set up fake real estate company jailed for six years