UCL lawyers’ new free advice clinic in Stratford gets Legal Aid agency funding deal
- Credit: UCL
An advice clinic set up as a temporary free service at Stratford following cuts to legal aid has won a funding contract for a permanent operation.
University College London’s ‘Centre for Access to Justice’ has been awarded the three-year deal by the Legal Aid Agency to give free aid to vulnerable communities.
“Legal aid services are at crisis point,” the university’s Law Practice chief Rachel Knowles said. “But we can provide a service from early advice to being represented in court.”
The clinic gives help on housing, community care, welfare benefits and education law, following changes to legal aid in 2013 which restricted many areas from state funding. It is now aiming to expand legal support to people with early onset dementia on matters such as care, power of attorney and benefit claims.
The centre’s director Prof Dame Hazel Genn, who cut the ribbon to open the permanent clinic last month, said: “We offer much needed legal aid to vulnerable communities at a time when many services have been cut.”
You may also want to watch:
Two qualified solicitors and two welfare benefits advisers are running the clinic with UCL law students under their supervision who apply their classroom theory to practice with members of the public.
The centre at Solar House, 1-9 Romford Road, Stratford, opens weekdays 10am to 5pm. Phone: 020-3108 8499.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 3 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 4 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 5 Carpenters Estate neighbours to vote on redevelopment plans
- 6 High Court judge rules no further action needed over embargo breach by Newham company boss
- 7 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 8 Brilliant moment for Okoflex as he nets in West Ham's win at Celtic
- 9 Man injured as glass falls from Canning Town bus station canopy
- 10 Boy, 16, found stabbed in Custom House