Thousands of borough’s children perform at iconic Copper Box Arena
- Credit: Archant
More than 3,000 youngsters from across Newham took part in one of the largest music festivals of its kind at the iconic Copper Box Arena at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
Pupils from at least 30 primary and secondary schools in the borough joined together to sing, dance and play music at the inaugural Copper Box Arena Schools Festival of Music and Performing Arts.
They showcased what they have been working on for the past term and cheered each other on.
They showcased musicals, formed mass choirs, danced and rocked thanks to a major new initiative staged by Newham Music Hub, supported by GLL, the UK’s largest charitable social enterprise and leisure operator, who manage both the Copper Box Arena and London Aquatics Centre in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
In addition to presenting their own dance, theatre and music pieces, the students from the schools also took part in workshops and rehearsals for several mass items including staging the premiere of Rainforest the Musical by more than 1000 children.
You may also want to watch:
Phil Castang, CEO at Newham Music Trust said: “We are absolutely delighted and so lucky to be able to stage this festival at the Copper Box Arena. Two years on and the spirit of London 2012 is still so strong in the memory. There is so much talent in Newham and it’s great to bring it all together in this iconic building”.
Dennis Hone, Chief Executive of the London Legacy Development Corporation, said: “We are delighted to welcome the Copper Box Arena Schools Festival of Music and Performing Arts. It is another fantastic event for young people to enjoy at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park this summer.”
- 1 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 2 Footage shows crowd piling onto train at Canning Town station
- 3 Newham's Covid-19 case rate 'huge' but there is 'light at end of the tunnel'
- 4 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 5 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 6 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 7 Serial fraudster who set up fake real estate company jailed for six years
- 8 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 9 Barts apologises to family after death of Stratford woman
- 10 Leyton Orient boss Embleton finally gets his man in Dan Kemp