Students represent Newham in Olympic-themed dance event on Southbank
St Angela’s Ursuline School represented Newham in a London-wide dance event on the Southbank.
Community dance programme Step Into Dance brought over 780 students from 46 schools together for a colourful day-long extravaganza at the Southbank Centre for a performance entitled “A Celebration of Youth Dance across London”.
Organised by the Royal Academy of Dance and funded by the Jack Petchey Foundation, St Angela’s in Forest Gate was selected to take part in an Olympic-themed opening ceremony to mark the beginning of Big Dance 2012, part of the London 2012 Festival, as well as interactive dance workshops.
Sue Goodman, Step Into Dance programme and artistic director, said: “This year, we were asked by Southbank Centre to represent all the London Boroughs so we thought of creating our very own Step Into Dance Olympic Games.
“We have done this by bringing many different schools together to celebrate this very special year.
You may also want to watch:
“This has been quite a Herculean task but we made it. All our dancers thoroughly enjoyed themselves.
“We look forward to continue creating more enrriching opportunities for our dancers next year.”
- 1 Silvertown scrap yard blaze burns throughout night as crews remain on scene
- 2 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 3 Silvertown scrapyard blaze under control after crews battle for nine hours
- 4 Newham's governance referendum: the case for both options
- 5 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 6 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 7 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 8 Police name victim of Custom House fatal shooting and stabbing
- 9 Staff 'overjoyed' as nursery opens in Stratford
- 10 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election