Stratford school gets award for encouraging pupils to be active
- Credit: Archant
A primary school has been presented with an award for engaging its children in extra-curricular physical activities.
Carpenters Primary School in Stratford was awarded an Outstanding Energy Club Award and marked the occasion with a permanent plaque on display at the school.
Sports Leaders UK, who run Energy Club, praised the school for being a beacon of best practice in engaging children in physical activities, recruiting committed volunteers to the programme and involving parents and support staff.
Energy Club, the extra-curricular, fun, physical activity movement for children aged 4-11, is currently being rolled out across the UK and provides a legacy from the Olympic and Paralympic Games by tackling the increasingly sedentary lives of young children.
Nicola Curran, deputy head teacher at the school said: “It is a great honour to receive an Outstanding Energy Club Award and get official recognition for our work getting children more active. We are very fortunate to have a wonderful group of volunteers who are willing to provide our pupils with more physical activity and nutritional information to ensure they have a brighter future.
You may also want to watch:
“Our pupils reap the many health benefits, and have a great time in the process. It even has the additional advantage that they concentrate better in class and are more alert.”
Linda Plowright, CEO of Sports Leaders UK said: “Energy Club has been a tremendous success since its launch a year ago. It is now available in nearly 1,000 schools, and it is inspirational to hear how dedicated volunteers contribute to a better quality of life for our children. The programme works, as it takes the people who care most about kids and gives them training and support so they can make a difference in their local community.”
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 3 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 4 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 5 Average house price in Newham slides again after record February
- 6 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 7 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 8 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 9 Plaistow woman shaves her head for charities
- 10 Chief nurse of England praises Newham specialist school nurses
Further information on registering a school or becoming a volunteer for Energy Club is available at www.EnergyClubUK.org.