Stratford school awarded grant to continue ‘Breakfast with Books’ club
- Credit: Archant
A school breakfast club tackling rumbling tummies while improving literacy skills has been given a grant of £450.
Sarah Bonnell School, in Deanery Road, Stratford, runs a “Breakfast with Books” club at the start of the day to get the minds of its students in tip top shape.
Ms Sarah Jacobs, head teacher of Sarah Bonnell School, said: “Breakfast clubs are a lifeline for many children but with budgets being tight they could sadly become an unaffordable luxury in the future.
“At Sarah Bonnell, we run a ‘Breakfast with Books’ club to encourage a healthy start to the day as well as encouraging reading and developing literacy skills.
“The grant will really help our club and we’ll look forward to spending the money on subsidising breakfast for the students in our school who do not get breakfast at home as well as buying some new crockery and cutlery and a selection of the children’s favourite cereals.”
You may also want to watch:
The grant is being donated by food company Kellogg’s who are sharing a total of £300,000 between 600 schools in the country as part of their Help Give a Child Breakfast campaign.
- 1 Bus crashes into lamp post in Stratford
- 2 Start Me Up: Rolling Stones legend Ronnie Wood opens studio in Canning Town for budding musicians
- 3 East Ham cannabis farm raided by police
- 4 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 5 Appeal to help find cat missing from Canning Town
- 6 'It's about safety': Manor Park neighbours urge council to crack down on pavement parking
- 7 Leyton Orient could be without key forwards for season opener at Salford
- 8 Meet the weight-loss runner using Newham as a canvas
- 9 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 10 Moyes: It was a good, tough test for West Ham at Brentford