Stratford school awarded grant to continue ‘Breakfast with Books’ club
- Credit: Archant
A school breakfast club tackling rumbling tummies while improving literacy skills has been given a grant of £450.
Sarah Bonnell School, in Deanery Road, Stratford, runs a “Breakfast with Books” club at the start of the day to get the minds of its students in tip top shape.
Ms Sarah Jacobs, head teacher of Sarah Bonnell School, said: “Breakfast clubs are a lifeline for many children but with budgets being tight they could sadly become an unaffordable luxury in the future.
“At Sarah Bonnell, we run a ‘Breakfast with Books’ club to encourage a healthy start to the day as well as encouraging reading and developing literacy skills.
“The grant will really help our club and we’ll look forward to spending the money on subsidising breakfast for the students in our school who do not get breakfast at home as well as buying some new crockery and cutlery and a selection of the children’s favourite cereals.”
You may also want to watch:
The grant is being donated by food company Kellogg’s who are sharing a total of £300,000 between 600 schools in the country as part of their Help Give a Child Breakfast campaign.
- 1 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 2 Footage shows crowd piling onto train at Canning Town station
- 3 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 4 Newham's Covid-19 case rate 'huge' but there is 'light at end of the tunnel'
- 5 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 6 NHS Nightingale London opens to patients without Covid-19
- 7 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 8 Volunteers out to bust Covid jab myths and false conspiracy theories
- 9 Barts apologises to family after death of Stratford woman
- 10 Serial fraudster who set up fake real estate company jailed for six years