Stratford school awarded grant to continue ‘Breakfast with Books’ club
- Credit: Archant
A school breakfast club tackling rumbling tummies while improving literacy skills has been given a grant of £450.
Sarah Bonnell School, in Deanery Road, Stratford, runs a “Breakfast with Books” club at the start of the day to get the minds of its students in tip top shape.
Ms Sarah Jacobs, head teacher of Sarah Bonnell School, said: “Breakfast clubs are a lifeline for many children but with budgets being tight they could sadly become an unaffordable luxury in the future.
“At Sarah Bonnell, we run a ‘Breakfast with Books’ club to encourage a healthy start to the day as well as encouraging reading and developing literacy skills.
“The grant will really help our club and we’ll look forward to spending the money on subsidising breakfast for the students in our school who do not get breakfast at home as well as buying some new crockery and cutlery and a selection of the children’s favourite cereals.”
You may also want to watch:
The grant is being donated by food company Kellogg’s who are sharing a total of £300,000 between 600 schools in the country as part of their Help Give a Child Breakfast campaign.
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 6 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 7 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 8 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 9 Newham charity hands out 500 food parcels to 'vulnerable' international students struggling with Covid-19
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation