Stratford parents say parking restrictions are a danger to pupils
Parents at Park Primary School in Stratford say new parking restrictions are making the school run even harder and putting their children at risk.
Previously, parents were encouraged to use a parking space within walking distance to stop them hovering near the school gates, parking on zig zag markings or stopping in the middle of the road. But restrictive parking has been enforced on surrounding roads between 8.30am to 6.30pm meaning that parents are forced to choose between getting a parking ticket or telling their children to come out of school on their own.
Jane Harris, Chair of Park Primary School in Mathews Park Avenue, said: “I also drop and pick up on my way to and from work, so have to drive. “Am I to get a parking ticket every time I park my car and go into the school playground to pick up my daughter, and potentially have conversations with her teachers?
“She is not old enough to be allowed to leave the school alone, even if I wanted her to.”
Jane reports that parents are already having to stand by their cars in case they get a ticket, putting children in danger as they make their own way out of the school gates.
You may also want to watch:
She added: “The council has to collaborate with the school when decisions like this are made. It is ridiculous, and a calculating way to make more money from locals and visitors alike, without looking at the potential, dangerous, consequences.”
A Newham Council spokesperson said the new parking restrictions involved one of the largest consultations they have ever conducted, distributing 17,000 leaflets to residents, businesses and schools including Park Primary.
- 1 Silvertown scrap yard blaze burns throughout night as crews remain on scene
- 2 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 3 Newham's governance referendum: the case for both options
- 4 Silvertown scrapyard blaze under control after crews battle for nine hours
- 5 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 6 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 7 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 8 Police name victim of Custom House fatal shooting and stabbing
- 9 Staff 'overjoyed' as nursery opens in Stratford
- 10 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election
The council added: “These changes are as a result of the feedback from the consultation and will bring benefits for residents living in the area.
“It will help them to park despite the expected influx of extra traffic. We are monitoring the situation closely and will continue to work with the school, local residents and businesses.”