Stratford children mark school’s birthday with balloons
- Credit: Archant
Children at a primary school released hundreds of balloons as they marked its 45th birthday.
The release of the blue balloons was just one of several events held recently at Maryland Primary School in Stratford to mark the occasion.
The school opened on its present site on May 6 1968 after the closure and demolition of the previous Victorian building at Maryland Point.
The day started with children researching the history of the school and looking up information on the 1960s as well for the quiz held later that day. Everyone enjoyed a very British lunch of fish and chips or … curry, followed by cream scones. We entertained a group of retired folk who have been resident in Stratford their whole lives and they had many interesting stories to tell our Year 6 children of growing up in the area.
The day culminated with an assembly in front of 260 parents and relatives, and a fashion show of 60s outfits modelled by the staff.
You may also want to watch:
Finally everyone went out into the nature garden and buried the school’s 2013 time capsule and every child released a blue helium balloon with his or her name on a tag and the school’s contact details.
Lorna Jackson, head teacher, said: “We have had warm wishes and comments from parents and even passers-by and neighbours who loved hearing 450 children and 270 of their parents and families all singing ‘Happy Birthday’ out in the open while the host of blue balloons filled the sky.”
- 1 Silvertown scrap yard blaze burns throughout night as crews remain on scene
- 2 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 3 Newham's governance referendum: the case for both options
- 4 Silvertown scrapyard blaze under control after crews battle for nine hours
- 5 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 6 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 7 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 8 Police name victim of Custom House fatal shooting and stabbing
- 9 Staff 'overjoyed' as nursery opens in Stratford
- 10 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election