Stephen Timms MP visits Manor Park primary school
- Credit: The Brilliant Club
East Ham MP Stephen Timms has met with primary school pupils taking part in a programme designed to encourage a university education.
He visited Year 5 and 6 pupils at Sir John Heron Primary School, in Manor Park, to find out about the Scholars Programme, a national scheme which offers university-style learning.
As well as taking part in tutorials, the youngsters will also visit two top universities.
It is run by charity The Brilliant Club, which aims to increase the number of pupils from under-represented backgrounds going to a highly selective university.
Mr Timms said: “I want to see young people from our area doing as well at school as those from anywhere in the country, and this initiative can only help.
You may also want to watch:
“I wish the pupils the very best for the future, and I hope more schools will give their pupils the chance to benefit from the programme.”
- 1 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 2 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 3 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 4 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 5 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
- 6 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 7 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 8 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 9 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 10 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR