Specialist school for autistic children to open in Custom House
- Credit: Archant
Autistic pupils in Newham have a new specialist school to attend.
Custom House Independent School will provide education for children as young as seven and is designed to keep pupils in their own communities.
The school is officially opening on June 6, with pupils showing off a project on the history of Custom House.
Head of autism spectrum condition services Simon Cartwright said: “We will now widen our remit by offering places to Key Stage 2, 3, 4 and 5 and delivering bespoke packages to both lower and higher functioning learners.
“Our philosophy is that through personalised learning programmes and a bespoke clinical/therapeutic offer, we build positive relationships and futures.”
You may also want to watch:
The Varley Road school is part of the East London Independent School, which was rated as outstanding by Ofsted in March.
- 1 Police appeal to bystanders in alleged rape case
- 2 Indian restaurants to try in Newham, as recommended by readers
- 3 New Covid vaccine centres to open across east London
- 4 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 5 Campaigners protest City Farm closure at Town Hall with 6,000-strong petition
- 6 Secondary claims to be 'billion-pound school' based on earnings research
- 7 Stephen Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 8 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 9 'That is what this club is about' as Mark Noble wants to find West Ham fan
- 10 New primary school in Stratford welcomes first reception class