Specialist school for autistic children to open in Custom House
- Credit: Archant
Autistic pupils in Newham have a new specialist school to attend.
Custom House Independent School will provide education for children as young as seven and is designed to keep pupils in their own communities.
The school is officially opening on June 6, with pupils showing off a project on the history of Custom House.
Head of autism spectrum condition services Simon Cartwright said: “We will now widen our remit by offering places to Key Stage 2, 3, 4 and 5 and delivering bespoke packages to both lower and higher functioning learners.
“Our philosophy is that through personalised learning programmes and a bespoke clinical/therapeutic offer, we build positive relationships and futures.”
You may also want to watch:
The Varley Road school is part of the East London Independent School, which was rated as outstanding by Ofsted in March.
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA, by-election and referendum
- 2 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 3 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 4 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 5 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 6 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 7 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 8 Fly-tippers dump loft insulation, building waste and sink on Wanstead Flats
- 9 Player ratings: Coufal shines as West Ham fall to Everton defeat
- 10 Leyton Orient searching for a new manager as they bid farewell to McAnuff