Specialist school for autistic children to open in Custom House
- Credit: Archant
Autistic pupils in Newham have a new specialist school to attend.
Custom House Independent School will provide education for children as young as seven and is designed to keep pupils in their own communities.
The school is officially opening on June 6, with pupils showing off a project on the history of Custom House.
Head of autism spectrum condition services Simon Cartwright said: “We will now widen our remit by offering places to Key Stage 2, 3, 4 and 5 and delivering bespoke packages to both lower and higher functioning learners.
“Our philosophy is that through personalised learning programmes and a bespoke clinical/therapeutic offer, we build positive relationships and futures.”
You may also want to watch:
The Varley Road school is part of the East London Independent School, which was rated as outstanding by Ofsted in March.
- 1 Blades, £25k and Class A drugs seized by police after car stop in Plaistow
- 2 Plaistow shisha bar handed closure order for flouting lockdown rules
- 3 Fire breaks out at Beckton superstore
- 4 How many Covid-19 vaccinations have been given where you live?
- 5 Police investigate burglary and injury at 'cannabis' house
- 6 'Severe maladministration' by Newham Council in housing complaint handling
- 7 Traffic cameras installed to catch Newham drivers who ignore road signs
- 8 Celebrating International Women's Day
- 9 Man arrested after car smashes into house in Maryland
- 10 Future of Carpenters Estate tower block is a step closer