Sixth Newham school closes due to false widow spiders
- Credit: The Natural History Museum / Tru
A sixth school has closed following an outbreak of false widow spiders across Newham.
Monega Primary School in Monega Road, Manor Park, announced it is dealing with an infestation of the arachnid.
A statement on its website says: “The school is currently closed due to a spider infestation which is being dealt with by the environmental team”.
Two other primary schools - Ellen Wilkinson in Beckton and Star in Star Lane - and two secondary schools - Rokeby, Canning Town, and Lister in Plaistow - already announced closures while the eight-legged invasion is treated.
Earlham Primary in Forest Gate was declared spider free. A statement on its website reads: “Earlham is open as normal. The school does not have a spider infestation”.
A Newham Council spokeswoman said earleir this week: “The schools are being treated and fumigated and we are working with them to ensure that children can continue to receive an education whilst their school is closed.
“Pupils are being set work via the schools and will remain in contact with schools.
- 1 Stratford roof-terrace restaurant destroyed by late-night fire
- 2 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged and approved in Newham
- 3 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 4 Man dies after falling unwell in Stratford
- 5 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Newham
- 6 Man held in murder probe after woman fatally stabbed in Custom House
- 7 Man charged with fatal stabbing of woman in Custom House
- 8 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 9 'Unexplained': Man dies after being found unresponsive in Plashet Park
- 10 Wanted: Five people Newham police wish to speak to
“We are asking all our schools and nurseries to proactively check their premises carefully for these spiders and if they see any signs, then contact environmental health or pest control as well as notifying the council.”