Sir Steve Redgrave makes visit to Silvertown
Olympic rowing legend Sir Steve Redgrave made his second visit to Newham in as many weeks.
The five-time gold medallist was at Britannia Village Hall to hand over a �50,000 cheque to the West Silvertown Foundation.
The grant was part of Sport England’s Lottery funded Inspired Facilities Programme. The hall will be used for cheerleading and a wide range of dance and exercise classes.
Sport England chief executive Jennie Price said: “There’s a lot to celebrate as we welcome the world#s greatest athletes to London, but what happens to our local sports facilities in 2012 is just as important.
“The �19million investment we’re announcing today means people in every part of England will see improved sports facilities on their own doorsteps.”
You may also want to watch:
It came a few days after Sir Steve dropped in on Hallsville Primary School in Canning Town.
- 1 Silvertown scrap yard blaze burns throughout night as crews remain on scene
- 2 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 3 Newham's governance referendum: the case for both options
- 4 Silvertown scrapyard blaze under control after crews battle for nine hours
- 5 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 6 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 7 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 8 Police name victim of Custom House fatal shooting and stabbing
- 9 Staff 'overjoyed' as nursery opens in Stratford
- 10 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election