Sir Steve Redgrave makes visit to Silvertown
Olympic rowing legend Sir Steve Redgrave made his second visit to Newham in as many weeks.
The five-time gold medallist was at Britannia Village Hall to hand over a �50,000 cheque to the West Silvertown Foundation.
The grant was part of Sport England’s Lottery funded Inspired Facilities Programme. The hall will be used for cheerleading and a wide range of dance and exercise classes.
Sport England chief executive Jennie Price said: “There’s a lot to celebrate as we welcome the world#s greatest athletes to London, but what happens to our local sports facilities in 2012 is just as important.
“The �19million investment we’re announcing today means people in every part of England will see improved sports facilities on their own doorsteps.”
You may also want to watch:
It came a few days after Sir Steve dropped in on Hallsville Primary School in Canning Town.
- 1 Traffic cameras installed to catch Newham drivers who ignore road signs
- 2 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 3 Foodbank offering lifeline to foreign students left destitute by pandemic
- 4 Parking charges, Covid, unneutered cats and driving into London
- 5 Man arrested after car smashes into house in Maryland
- 6 Plans for special needs hub at Little Ilford School given green light
- 7 East Ham barber disappointed by Covid-19 lockdown easing roadmap
- 8 Guilty: Men from Forest Gate and East Ham who raped two women during brothel robbery
- 9 Upminster killer boasted about hacking teen to death with machete in street
- 10 Person found dead on tracks at Plaistow Underground station