Silvertown free school closer to approval
- Credit: Archant
Sponsors of a free school in Silvertown have been invited to discuss their plans in more detail with the Department for Education (DfE).
The interview in early March is the second stage in the process to gain planning approval for a secondary school called Oasis Academy Silvertown.
Oasis Community Learning, part of a group of education charities, is working in partnership with Britannia Village Primary School to set up a school for pupils aged between 11 to 16 in four forms of entry, with an initial intake of 120 Year Seven pupils in September 2014.
The school will cover the National Curriculum at all levels and it will be fully inclusive, accepting pupils regardless of faith or abliity.
Oasis have also approached organisations in the area including Andrew Mawson Partnerships, Siemens, and London City Airport to help shape aspects of their curriculum.
You may also want to watch:
Steve Chalke, Oasis Founder, said: “I would like to thank all the parents and local residents who have backed our proposal this far - we know how much they want this school.”
Public consultations were held between October and December last year where more than 400 parents registered their support for the proposal which Oasis also claim as the backing of East Ham MP Stephen Timms, Cllr Steven Brayshaw, Jamie’s Ministry of Food, and West Ham United.
- 1 Neighbour reports 'intolerable' antisocial car meets around ABBA Arena building site
- 2 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 3 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 4 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 5 Campaigners claim ULEZ expansion benefit 'undone' by Silvertown Tunnel project
- 6 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500
- 7 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 8 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 9 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London
- 10 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
The project team are in premlimary discussions with relevant parties to secure a suitable site in Silvertown.
More information can be found at www.oasisacademysilvertown.org where parents can also register their support.