Silvertown children get historical lesson after visit to derelict site
- Credit: Archant
Pupils from Britannia Village primary visited the derelict Silvertown Quays as part of activities focusing on the history of the Royal Docks.
The students from the Sivertown school were taken onto the 62-acre Silvertown Quays site to learn about the history of innovation and enterprise in the area which was once London’s gateway to the British Empire. They saw the derelict Millennium Mills and the disused Grain Store at Silo-D, as well as Pontoon Dock which was once a busy international hub of commerce and trade.
They also welcomed local artist Frank Creber and The Silvertown Partnership’s historian Paul Cattermole to their school.
Frank Creber worked with the children on a mural in the school that depicts the Royal Docks in the past, how it’s seen today and their vision for the future of the area.
Linda-May Bingham, headteacher of Britannia Village Primary School, said: “I am very pleased that The Silvertown Partnership has chosen to engage with the local community at this early stage. Their team has been talking a lot to the local community and I’m delighted they have come into the school and taken the pupils on site.”
You may also want to watch:
Elliot Lipton from The Silvertown Partnership said: “This event with the school is just the latest in a number of consultation events which have been taking place as the proposals have evolved. It’s so important local children - who will grow up alongside our development – also have their say”.
“The reaction from pupils and indeed the whole community to our plans for Silvertown Quays has been overwhelmingly positive. Our vision for Silvertown Quays will secure a vibrant future for the Royal Docks by creating up to 14,000 new jobs and 2,500 new homes in a new and enlivened waterfront destination”.
- 1 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 2 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 3 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 4 Operose: Addressing 'understandable' concerns over GP takeover
- 5 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 6 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 7 Housing campaigners to stage protest in Canning Town over empty homes
- 8 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
- 9 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 10 Women's FA Cup: West Ham 11 Chichester & Selsey 0
The Silvertown Partnership is preparing a planning application for submission later in the spring.