‘Shock’ at CCTV in Newham school changing rooms
Three Newham schools have installed CCTV cameras in changing rooms and toilets, figures released today reveal.
Plashet School in East Ham, Kingsford Community School in Beckton, and the Royal Docks Community School in Custom House house 12 cameras between them.
The figures were unearthed by campaign group Big Brother Watch following a Freedom of Information request.
The Royal Docks Community School has the equivalent of one camera per 15 pupils, according to the group.
Director Nick Pickles said: “The full extent of school surveillance is far higher than we had expected and will come as a shock to many parents.
You may also want to watch:
“Schools need to come clean about why they are using these cameras and what is happening to the footage.
“Local authorities also need to be doing far more to reign in excessive surveillance in their areas and ensuring resources are not being diverted from more effective alternatives.”
- 1 Silvertown scrap yard blaze burns throughout night as crews remain on scene
- 2 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 3 Newham's governance referendum: the case for both options
- 4 Silvertown scrapyard blaze under control after crews battle for nine hours
- 5 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 6 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 7 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 8 Police name victim of Custom House fatal shooting and stabbing
- 9 Staff 'overjoyed' as nursery opens in Stratford
- 10 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election