Schools shut in Newham for nationwide teachers’ strike
- Credit: Archant
Schools are shut across Newham today as part of a national teachers strike over pay and working conditions.
Newham Council published a list of 26 schools that are closed, 19 that are partially closed and three that remain open.
Teachers will march from Malet Street near Euston to Downing Street in Westminster.
The unions are in dispute with education secretary Michael Gove over planned changes to teachers’ pay and contracts, working conditions and pensions.
The National Union of Teachers (NUT) and the National Association of Schoolmasters & Union of Women Teachers accuse the secretary of state of refusing to listen to their concerns.
Parents are advised to contact their children’s school to see how the strike will affect them.
- 1 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Jackett hoping to strengthen squad
- 3 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 4 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 5 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 6 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 7 New boy Brown 'buzzing' to help Leyton Orient
- 8 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
- 9 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 10 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'