Schools shut in Newham for nationwide teachers’ strike
- Credit: Archant
Schools are shut across Newham today as part of a national teachers strike over pay and working conditions.
Newham Council published a list of 26 schools that are closed, 19 that are partially closed and three that remain open.
Teachers will march from Malet Street near Euston to Downing Street in Westminster.
The unions are in dispute with education secretary Michael Gove over planned changes to teachers’ pay and contracts, working conditions and pensions.
The National Union of Teachers (NUT) and the National Association of Schoolmasters & Union of Women Teachers accuse the secretary of state of refusing to listen to their concerns.
You may also want to watch:
Parents are advised to contact their children’s school to see how the strike will affect them.
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 3 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 6 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 7 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 8 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 9 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 10 'Hi-tech AI' butcher's shop opening in Stratford