Schools shut in Newham for nationwide teachers’ strike
- Credit: Archant
Schools are shut across Newham today as part of a national teachers strike over pay and working conditions.
Newham Council published a list of 26 schools that are closed, 19 that are partially closed and three that remain open.
Teachers will march from Malet Street near Euston to Downing Street in Westminster.
The unions are in dispute with education secretary Michael Gove over planned changes to teachers’ pay and contracts, working conditions and pensions.
The National Union of Teachers (NUT) and the National Association of Schoolmasters & Union of Women Teachers accuse the secretary of state of refusing to listen to their concerns.
You may also want to watch:
Parents are advised to contact their children’s school to see how the strike will affect them.
- 1 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 2 Footage shows crowd piling onto train at Canning Town station
- 3 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 4 Newham's Covid-19 case rate 'huge' but there is 'light at end of the tunnel'
- 5 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 6 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 7 Barts apologises to family after death of Stratford woman
- 8 Serial fraudster who set up fake real estate company jailed for six years
- 9 NHS 'concerned' about Covid vaccine uptake in Newham
- 10 Half of people in Newham may have had Covid-19, analysis reveals