Ninth school closes due to false widow spiders as three announce reopening
- Credit: The Natural History Museum / Tru
A ninth Newham school has closed due to a false widow spider outbreak.
Newham Council confirmed that Godwin Junior School, in Forest Gate, has been shut due to the arachnids.
A tweet on the school’s official account, which has since been deleted, stated that it would be closed today (Thursday) and tomorrow (Friday).
Another school, Avenue Primary in Manor Park, has been assessed but declared spider free.
It comes as some of the first schools to be affected by the spiders make arrangements to reopen.
You may also want to watch:
Pupils will return to Rokeby School and Star Primary School, both in Canning Town, and Ellen Wilkinson Primary School, in Beckton, on Monday.
- 1 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 2 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 3 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 4 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 5 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
- 6 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 7 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 8 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 9 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 10 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR