Ninth school closes due to false widow spiders as three announce reopening
- Credit: The Natural History Museum / Tru
A ninth Newham school has closed due to a false widow spider outbreak.
Newham Council confirmed that Godwin Junior School, in Forest Gate, has been shut due to the arachnids.
A tweet on the school’s official account, which has since been deleted, stated that it would be closed today (Thursday) and tomorrow (Friday).
Another school, Avenue Primary in Manor Park, has been assessed but declared spider free.
It comes as some of the first schools to be affected by the spiders make arrangements to reopen.
You may also want to watch:
Pupils will return to Rokeby School and Star Primary School, both in Canning Town, and Ellen Wilkinson Primary School, in Beckton, on Monday.
- 1 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 2 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 3 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 4 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 5 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 6 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 7 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 8 Canning town bus station reopens after falling glass injures man
- 9 Brilliant moment for Okoflex as he nets in West Ham's win at Celtic
- 10 Deadline looming to comment on proposed constituency changes