Ninth school closes due to false widow spiders as three announce reopening
- Credit: The Natural History Museum / Tru
A ninth Newham school has closed due to a false widow spider outbreak.
Newham Council confirmed that Godwin Junior School, in Forest Gate, has been shut due to the arachnids.
A tweet on the school’s official account, which has since been deleted, stated that it would be closed today (Thursday) and tomorrow (Friday).
Another school, Avenue Primary in Manor Park, has been assessed but declared spider free.
It comes as some of the first schools to be affected by the spiders make arrangements to reopen.
You may also want to watch:
Pupils will return to Rokeby School and Star Primary School, both in Canning Town, and Ellen Wilkinson Primary School, in Beckton, on Monday.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 10 Charity provides free breakfasts for 561 vulnerable families over half term