School set to remain closed for rest of week due to false widow spider infestation
- Credit: The Natural History Museum / Tru
The headteacher of an all-through school has confirmed it will be shut for the rest of the week following an infestation of false widow spiders.
Schoool 21 had been shut yesterday (Monday) and today (Tuesday) while the building was treated, but headteacher Oli de Botton has now said it will remain shut for the next three days as well.
In a letter to parents, he wrote: “Whilst the majority of the spiders have been removed, a second treatment is required to ensure all the eggs are dealt with. It is also true that any remaining spiders will be more agitated.
“This decision has been extremely hard to make.
“I was very keen to keep the school open so we could provide students with education this week.
“However, I had to balance that with the need to follow the advice of experts in this matter.”
Work will be provided online for pupils in all year groups to complete at home while the Stratford school is closed.
- 1 60 firefighters deal with Plaistow tower block fire
- 2 Revealed: Cause of terraced houses blaze in East Ham
- 3 Revealed: Cause of Plaistow tower block fire which left 5 men in hospital
- 4 East Ham fire: Terraced houses damaged by blaze as woman treated at scene
- 5 Series of failures sees Met Police placed under special measures
- 6 Truck towing stolen Rolls Royce SUV crashes before dramatic foot chase
- 7 Fares Maatou was 'murdered with stolen sword', court hears
- 8 Moosakhan Nasiri: Man charged with Plashet Park murder
- 9 Moncur 'overwhelmed' to join Leyton Orient
- 10 Drone images of Newham tower block blaze
A museum trip has been organised for Year 5 pupils, while those in Year 11 and 13 will be given some off-site teaching.
School 21 is set to open as normal after half term on Monday, October 29.