Royal Docks school entertains elderly and a paralympian
- Credit: Archant
A combination of fun and fitness gave staff and students at a Canning Town school a memorable end to their summer term.
Royal Docks Community School managed to host a party for elders side by side with a sports day. Paralympic wheelchair rugby player Andy Barrow spent much of the afternoon in the school’s gym, working with some children as part of a motivational disability in sports project.
Other youngsters took part in a tea party for some of the area’s elderly residents, including Julian Bridgeman, 101, who was presented with a birthday cake by the head teacher Wendy Bower. Students at the school in Prince Regent Lane, also interviewed him about his varied life experiences. He also sang during the party.
Julie Payne, deputy head of Year 11 and community co-ordinator said: “The Elders Tea Party is a regular event that we hold every term but this party is a little more special as we celebrated the 101st birthday of one of our guests, Julian Bridgeman.
Also, as part of an enrichment activity around local history, students plan to interview guests to learn what the community was like when they were students. The parties have always been a great platform from which to build relationships between the elders and youth of the community.”
You may also want to watch:
Councillors Marie collier, Pat Holland and her husband Patrick were among those who enoyed the tea party.
- 1 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 2 Footage shows crowd piling onto train at Canning Town station
- 3 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 4 NHS Nightingale London opens to patients without Covid-19
- 5 Newham's Covid-19 case rate 'huge' but there is 'light at end of the tunnel'
- 6 Volunteers out to bust Covid jab myths and false conspiracy theories
- 7 NHS 'concerned' about Covid vaccine uptake in Newham
- 8 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 9 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 10 Double murder charge over stabbings, as police name victims