East Ham school launches reading bus
- Credit: Archant
A primary school in East Ham has launched a library on wheels to encourage pupils to read during play time.
The 'reading bus' outside Central Park Primary School, Central Park Road, is one of the first of its kind in Newham.
Executive headteacher Darren Williams said other schools were looking to replicate the idea in their playgrounds.
He said: 'The more we read, the more we understand the world around us.
'At Central Park, prompting the love of reading is the first step on the journey to excelling.
You may also want to watch:
'Our reading bus is part of that journey.'
The school launched the reading bus with Newham councillor Julianne Marriott, who is cabinet member for education, attending along with parents and the school's former PTA.
- 1 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 2 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 3 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 4 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 5 Ex-student who got MIT scholarship sets up tutor business to help others
- 6 'Council houses now': Protesters stage action over empty homes
- 7 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 8 Women's FA Cup: West Ham 11 Chichester & Selsey 0
- 9 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
- 10 Recognising the importance of crossing thresholds as lockdown eases