Professor John Joughin is new Vice Chancellor at east London university
- Credit: Archant
Professor John Joughin has been appointed as Vice-Chancellor for the University of East London by its board of governors.
Prior to taking up the position of acting Vice-Chancellor, which he has held for the last six months, Professor Joughin was deputy Vice-Chancellor for two and a half years.
He was responsible for the development of the academic core of the institution, as well as line management of the Deans of School, the Director of Academic Practice and Learning and the Director of the Graduate School.
He has also been leading the university’s research strategy and has made several new appointments; adding to the university’s research expertise, and further strengthening its upcoming Research Excellence Framework submission. Under his leadership research income has increased by 40 per cent at the University.
Professor Joughin, said: “I am extremely proud of our committed staff and talented students, and I am honoured to serve them as Vice-Chancellor, at what is a challenging but exciting time for higher education. I look forward to working with students, staff, governors and stakeholders to secure a successful future for the university in the years ahead.”
You may also want to watch:
He has over 20 years’ experience as an accomplished academic and Shakespearean scholar, working across the higher education sector.
Mark Stephens CBE, chairman of the university’s board of governors, said: “The Board believe John has the optimal skill set to lead the university. His dedication and commitment to UEL and the wider community, along with his exemplary track record in higher education puts him in the best position to lead the university.”
- 1 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
- 2 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 3 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 4 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 5 Fan's column: West Ham are in the mix to battle it out with the big boys
- 6 NHS Nightingale London's jabs hub opens as Covid-19 vaccinations ramp up
- 7 Mayor vows to continue Newham free school meals scheme
- 8 Newham's Covid-19 case rate 'huge' but there is 'light at end of the tunnel'
- 9 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 10 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash