Professor John Joughin is new Vice Chancellor at east London university
- Credit: Archant
Professor John Joughin has been appointed as Vice-Chancellor for the University of East London by its board of governors.
Prior to taking up the position of acting Vice-Chancellor, which he has held for the last six months, Professor Joughin was deputy Vice-Chancellor for two and a half years.
He was responsible for the development of the academic core of the institution, as well as line management of the Deans of School, the Director of Academic Practice and Learning and the Director of the Graduate School.
He has also been leading the university’s research strategy and has made several new appointments; adding to the university’s research expertise, and further strengthening its upcoming Research Excellence Framework submission. Under his leadership research income has increased by 40 per cent at the University.
Professor Joughin, said: “I am extremely proud of our committed staff and talented students, and I am honoured to serve them as Vice-Chancellor, at what is a challenging but exciting time for higher education. I look forward to working with students, staff, governors and stakeholders to secure a successful future for the university in the years ahead.”
You may also want to watch:
He has over 20 years’ experience as an accomplished academic and Shakespearean scholar, working across the higher education sector.
Mark Stephens CBE, chairman of the university’s board of governors, said: “The Board believe John has the optimal skill set to lead the university. His dedication and commitment to UEL and the wider community, along with his exemplary track record in higher education puts him in the best position to lead the university.”
- 1 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 2 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 3 Election candidate slams plans for Durning Hall in Forest Gate
- 4 Newham schoolchildren enjoy holiday activities as part of programme pilot
- 5 Housing campaigners to stage protest in Canning Town over empty homes
- 6 Tributes to 'hero' charity founder who dedicated life to Newham children
- 7 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Newham pubs and bars reopening for outdoor service
- 10 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing