Princess Anne to open University Square Stratford
- Credit: Archant
The official opening of University Square Stratford will be carried out by Princess Anne on November 5.
University Square, situated at the heart of Stratford’s cultural quarter, is a collaboration between the University of East London and Birkbeck, University of London. Although they are distinct universities their aims are to encourage access and progression into higher education.
The campus offers an alternative model of higher education, with flexible part- and full-time, day and evening study opportunities to meet the needs of the people of east London.
Professor John Joughin, UEL Vice-Chancellor, said: “It is great to see this partnership initiative come to completion and the first cohort of students come through the doors this autumn. University Square brings higher education into the communities of east London in a way that has never been done before and plays an important role in the remarkable transformation of this part of London.”
Professor David Latchman CBE, the Master of Birkbeck, said: “University Square is an exciting development in Birkbeck’s historic mission to extend the best higher education to all, and I am delighted to see our unique, evening taught provision established in east London. The shared nature of the building means that students in Stratford will benefit from a truly flexible, high-quality higher education offering.”
Designed by Make architects, the £33 million state-of-the-art, five-floor campus comprises 8,600 sq ms of flexible teaching and performance space, as well as academic and administrative offices, orientated around a large, light-filled atrium. A range of student support services are on offer, including English language and academic learning support, specialist education advice and guidance, disability support and a student centre and helpdesk.
- 1 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 2 Alexandra Burke: Stratford Christmas concert cancelled over 'safety fears'
- 3 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 4 Multi-vehicle collision in Canning Town leads to one driver being cut free
- 5 'We have been failed': Newham families face eviction by council
- 6 Burglar posing as police officer 'preyed upon the elderly'
- 7 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 8 Nine rescue pets looking for homes this Christmas in east London
- 9 Newham residents urged to shop local on Small Business Saturday
- 10 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped