Princess Anne to open University Square Stratford
- Credit: Archant
The official opening of University Square Stratford will be carried out by Princess Anne on November 5.
University Square, situated at the heart of Stratford’s cultural quarter, is a collaboration between the University of East London and Birkbeck, University of London. Although they are distinct universities their aims are to encourage access and progression into higher education.
The campus offers an alternative model of higher education, with flexible part- and full-time, day and evening study opportunities to meet the needs of the people of east London.
Professor John Joughin, UEL Vice-Chancellor, said: “It is great to see this partnership initiative come to completion and the first cohort of students come through the doors this autumn. University Square brings higher education into the communities of east London in a way that has never been done before and plays an important role in the remarkable transformation of this part of London.”
Professor David Latchman CBE, the Master of Birkbeck, said: “University Square is an exciting development in Birkbeck’s historic mission to extend the best higher education to all, and I am delighted to see our unique, evening taught provision established in east London. The shared nature of the building means that students in Stratford will benefit from a truly flexible, high-quality higher education offering.”
You may also want to watch:
Designed by Make architects, the £33 million state-of-the-art, five-floor campus comprises 8,600 sq ms of flexible teaching and performance space, as well as academic and administrative offices, orientated around a large, light-filled atrium. A range of student support services are on offer, including English language and academic learning support, specialist education advice and guidance, disability support and a student centre and helpdesk.
- 1 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 2 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 3 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 4 Operose: Addressing 'understandable' concerns over GP takeover
- 5 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 6 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 7 Housing campaigners to stage protest in Canning Town over empty homes
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Women's FA Cup: West Ham 11 Chichester & Selsey 0
- 10 Stratford was busiest station on TfL network last year, data reveals