Princess Anne opens new University campus in Stratford
- Credit: Archant
A new £33 million university campus in Stratford was opened by the Princess Royal in a public opening ceremony.
Princess Anne unveiled a plaque at University Square Stratford on November 5 for the official opening of the campus, which is born of a collaboration between the University of East London (UEL) and Birkbeck, University of London.
Joining Her Royal Highness, who is chancellor of the University of London, were more than 300 dignitaries, donors, academics, and leading figures from businesses, cultural organisations and councils.
The new campus offers higher education courses with part and full-time and day and evening study opportunities.
A dance routine was performed by UEL student Baanji Muteto, from Manor Park in Newham, who is studying for a BA Honours in urban dance practice at the new Stratford campus.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “Performing in front of HRH Princess Royal was a massive privilege and a great experience.
“We performed a dance piece that fuses House dance and contemporary dance techniques.”
- 1 Up to 100 drivers thwarted in crackdown on car meets in Newham
- 2 3D street art illusion brings Boleyn Ground to life
- 3 Women rescued as flat destroyed in Custom House blaze
- 4 Steven Fry stabbing: Man charged with murder to appear at Old Bailey
- 5 Fire damages house in East Ham
- 6 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 7 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 8 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 9 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 10 DJ's fundraising bid to help twin return home after months in hospital
Professor John Joughin, vice-chancellor of UEL, said University Square Stratford is “transformational” and gives people in east London access to higher education courses and increase their employment prospects.
For more information visit www.universitysquarestratford.ac.uk.