Princess Anne opens new University campus in Stratford
- Credit: Archant
A new £33 million university campus in Stratford was opened by the Princess Royal in a public opening ceremony.
Princess Anne unveiled a plaque at University Square Stratford on November 5 for the official opening of the campus, which is born of a collaboration between the University of East London (UEL) and Birkbeck, University of London.
Joining Her Royal Highness, who is chancellor of the University of London, were more than 300 dignitaries, donors, academics, and leading figures from businesses, cultural organisations and councils.
The new campus offers higher education courses with part and full-time and day and evening study opportunities.
A dance routine was performed by UEL student Baanji Muteto, from Manor Park in Newham, who is studying for a BA Honours in urban dance practice at the new Stratford campus.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “Performing in front of HRH Princess Royal was a massive privilege and a great experience.
“We performed a dance piece that fuses House dance and contemporary dance techniques.”
- 1 Jailed: Drug dealer who crashed into cab leaving passengers critically injured
- 2 Detectives release images after robbery in East Ham
- 3 'Severe maladministration' by Newham Council in housing complaint handling
- 4 Jailed: Manor Park man guilty of drug offences, but not machete murder
- 5 Man in hospital after fire at disused Forest Gate church
- 6 Blades, £25k and Class A drugs seized by police after car stop in Plaistow
- 7 £3m centre to reduce young adult reoffending to be set up in Stratford
- 8 Police investigate burglary and injury at 'cannabis' house
- 9 World Book Day: Notorious football fan 'Mr West Ham' sets record straight
- 10 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff feels he knows already what makes the squad tick
Professor John Joughin, vice-chancellor of UEL, said University Square Stratford is “transformational” and gives people in east London access to higher education courses and increase their employment prospects.
For more information visit www.universitysquarestratford.ac.uk.