Princess Anne opens new University campus in Stratford
- Credit: Archant
A new £33 million university campus in Stratford was opened by the Princess Royal in a public opening ceremony.
Princess Anne unveiled a plaque at University Square Stratford on November 5 for the official opening of the campus, which is born of a collaboration between the University of East London (UEL) and Birkbeck, University of London.
Joining Her Royal Highness, who is chancellor of the University of London, were more than 300 dignitaries, donors, academics, and leading figures from businesses, cultural organisations and councils.
The new campus offers higher education courses with part and full-time and day and evening study opportunities.
A dance routine was performed by UEL student Baanji Muteto, from Manor Park in Newham, who is studying for a BA Honours in urban dance practice at the new Stratford campus.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “Performing in front of HRH Princess Royal was a massive privilege and a great experience.
“We performed a dance piece that fuses House dance and contemporary dance techniques.”
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 3 Rape survivor awarded British Empire Medal for services to community in pandemic
- 4 Leyton Orient linked with Omar Beckles, Connor Wood and Paul Smyth
- 5 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 6 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 7 Woman dies in fire at Stratford home
- 8 Newham Muslim groups urge Boris Johnson to condemn attack in Canada
- 9 Leyton Orient sign defender Omar Beckles from Crewe Alexandra
- 10 Barking sign former Leyton Orient duo Elliott Omozusi and Charlie MacDonald
Professor John Joughin, vice-chancellor of UEL, said University Square Stratford is “transformational” and gives people in east London access to higher education courses and increase their employment prospects.
For more information visit www.universitysquarestratford.ac.uk.