Plaistow youngsters celebrate 500 days until the start of Rugby World Cup 2015
- Credit: Archant
Rugby-mad youngsters celebrated 500 days to go until the start of next year’s world cup by showcasing their skills.
Pupils from Curwen Primary School in Plaistow gave a demonstration at East London Rugby Club in West Ham.
Tuesday’s visit celebrated the fact that Newham will host five of the tournament matches at Queen Elizabeth Park next year, including the bronze final.
Curwen School is one of 14 schools receiving rugby training to celebrate the world cup.
The council has commissioned charity East London Community Sports Association to deliver junior rugby programmes in all the primary schools in the borough over the next five years, as well as 12-week school holiday programmes.
Tickets for the world cup will go on sale on September 12.
Residents can sign up for all the latest news on the tournament by visiting rugbyworldcup.com/frontrow
- 1 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 2 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 3 Possible travel disruptions for central London this week
- 4 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 5 12 people wanted after unlinked Newham robberies
- 6 Strike action will hit Central and Victoria line Night Tube services this weekend
- 7 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
- 8 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 9 Burglar posing as police officer 'preyed upon the elderly'
- 10 East London man charged with six terrorism offences