Plaistow schoolchildren camp under the stars
Children from a primary school achieved an important ‘first’ when they went camping under the stars.
The Year 4 youngsters from Kaizen Primary School in Plaistow put up tents, cooked their own tea time sausages as they enjoyed their first overnight residential school visit.
The children and their families prepared equipment for them to camp under the stars, an important ‘first’ in their lives. The school plans the event to help support children develop life skills, independence, resilience, organisation and team work.
A spokeswoman at the school said a buzz of excitement flew around the classes as soon as the camping event was announced to families and children. She said it is an opportunity which they know comes their way having watched older brothers and sisters do the same over the last three years.
Natasha Outhwaite, trainee head teacher, said: “In the past all children who have experienced their first night away at Kaizen Camp have been thoroughly ecstatic about accomplishing the biggest and most important challenge of putting their own tent up.
You may also want to watch:
“They were thrilled when they had the chance to cook their own tea time sausages on the same stove. The traditions of outdoor experiences like songs around the camp fire led by our own staff on guitars were a big hit.”
This year some of the outdoor experiences came from a Bushcraft expert who worked with the children teaching them how to create fire using flint to light their stove and weave their own cord to secure their tent.
- 1 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 2 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 3 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500
- 8 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Newham nursery schools praised for inclusion work