Plaistow school appeals for former students to return
- Credit: Archant
Lister Community School is appealing for former students to return to their old stomping ground to inspire current pupils.
The school in St Mary’s Road is one of more than 500 state schools across Britain which have registered with the charity Future First to set up networks of former students or alumni.
Nick Smith, Assistant Headteacher, said: “We are really keen to hear from any ex-Lister pupils. We signed up to Future First’s scheme straightaway for help in getting in touch with our pupils from the past; we want their help in providing first class knowledge, skills and experience to broaden our current pupils’ jobs horizons and equip them for the world of work.”
Future First’s vision is that every state school or college should be supported by a thriving, engaged alumni community that helps it to do more for its students.
More than 50,000 former students across Britain have already signed up to stay connected with their old school. They’re inspiring young people in a number of ways; as career and education role models, mentors or e-mentors, work experience providers, governors, donors or fundraisers.
You may also want to watch:
Alex Shapland-Howes, managing director of Future First, said: “More than 39 per cent of state school students don’t know anyone in a job they’d like to do. If they see that someone who went to the same school, grew up in the same community, has achieved a fulfilling and satisfying job, it helps them see it’s possible for them too. It’s really important for all students to be motivated to succeed in the working world and hearing first hand from relatable people in interesting jobs can make a huge difference.”
For more information go to futurefirst.org.uk or contact Sue Crabtree on email@example.com.
- 1 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 2 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 5 Hospitality Day 2021: Newham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 6 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 7 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 8 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 9 Court date adjourned for Beckton man who sexually assaulted young girl
- 10 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim