Plaistow school appeals for former students to return
- Credit: Archant
Lister Community School is appealing for former students to return to their old stomping ground to inspire current pupils.
The school in St Mary’s Road is one of more than 500 state schools across Britain which have registered with the charity Future First to set up networks of former students or alumni.
Nick Smith, Assistant Headteacher, said: “We are really keen to hear from any ex-Lister pupils. We signed up to Future First’s scheme straightaway for help in getting in touch with our pupils from the past; we want their help in providing first class knowledge, skills and experience to broaden our current pupils’ jobs horizons and equip them for the world of work.”
Future First’s vision is that every state school or college should be supported by a thriving, engaged alumni community that helps it to do more for its students.
More than 50,000 former students across Britain have already signed up to stay connected with their old school. They’re inspiring young people in a number of ways; as career and education role models, mentors or e-mentors, work experience providers, governors, donors or fundraisers.
You may also want to watch:
Alex Shapland-Howes, managing director of Future First, said: “More than 39 per cent of state school students don’t know anyone in a job they’d like to do. If they see that someone who went to the same school, grew up in the same community, has achieved a fulfilling and satisfying job, it helps them see it’s possible for them too. It’s really important for all students to be motivated to succeed in the working world and hearing first hand from relatable people in interesting jobs can make a huge difference.”
For more information go to futurefirst.org.uk or contact Sue Crabtree on email@example.com.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 3 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 4 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 5 Average house price in Newham slides again after record February
- 6 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 7 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 8 Chief nurse of England praises Newham specialist school nurses
- 9 Plaistow woman shaves her head for charities
- 10 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford