Plaistow pupils power through deals and deceit at Model UN conference
- Credit: Lister Community School
The moment eight pupils from Plaistow walked into the school, they faced long days of bargaining, backbiting and betrayals.
This wasn’t just class politics – they were trying to save the world.
The Year 10 students from Lister Community School were competing in a mock United Nations conference hosted by American non-profit Global Classrooms.
More than 300 delegates from schools across London were tested on their debating and diplomatic skills at the event in Mulberry UTC, Bow.
All pupils from Lister were commended for their role in the conference.
Pupils Harun Shekoni and Nazeerah Paten both achieved UN-believable feats, being named Best Delegate and taking home a Honourable Mention Award, respectively.
“We are incredibly proud of our Lister delegation, who showed off their immense talent, hard work, and keenness to tackle some of the most pressing global challenges,” said headteacher Anthony Wilson.
- 1 Three in custody over knifepoint robbery in East Ham after foot chase
- 2 Tossed cigarette in Chadwell Heath costs Beckton man almost £400
- 3 Seven men charged following cannabis factory fight
- 4 School which has nine-hour days praised as 'outstanding'
- 5 VOTE: Which east London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 6 Plaistow police officer to face GBH trial after man left paralysed
- 7 Men jailed after violent beating with steering wheel lock caught on dashcam
- 8 Burrard Road stabbing: Plea date set for Custom House murder accused
- 9 Boy, 2, injured after 'dog attack' at funfair
- 10 Remembering speedway at West Ham Stadium 50 years on
The conference on December 6 and 7 focused on global health and wellbeing.