Plaistow pupils join forces to quiz councillors and police
- Credit: Archant
Pupils held their local politicians and police officers to account by quizzing them on issues that matter to young people at Newham Town Hall.
Plaistow, Curwen, Selwyn, Lister Community, Portway, Cleves, Upton Cross, and Southern Road schools together form the E13 Learning Community who hold events together and collaborate to develop the education of the children in the north Plaistow area.
A group of around 20 pupils from the E13 Schools’ Council visited the council chambers in East Ham to present their concerns about local issues to PCSO Pam Khan, Cllr Alec Kellaway, Cllr Forhad Hussain, Cllr Neil Wilson, and council officers.
They put forward four issues in consultation with their classmates to present their concerns around crime, environment, racism, and access to Olympic facilities.
The youngsters proved to be effective negotiators as, by the end of the session, plans were put in place for a litter-pick day as part of a wider litter campaign; support and training to empower students and parents to report low-level crime and anti-social behaviour; youth panels set up in local schools; a petition around access to Olympic Stadium facilities; the students pledged to get more involved in Paralympic Legacy projects; and they wish to campaign to raise awareness of, and tackle, racism.
You may also want to watch:
The work was also carried out in partnership with The East London Communities Organisation (TELCO).
- 1 Traffic cameras installed to catch Newham drivers who ignore road signs
- 2 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 3 Foodbank offering lifeline to foreign students left destitute by pandemic
- 4 Parking charges, Covid, unneutered cats and driving into London
- 5 Man arrested after car smashes into house in Maryland
- 6 Plans for special needs hub at Little Ilford School given green light
- 7 Guilty: Men from Forest Gate and East Ham who raped two women during brothel robbery
- 8 East Ham barber disappointed by Covid-19 lockdown easing roadmap
- 9 Upminster killer boasted about hacking teen to death with machete in street
- 10 Person found dead on tracks at Plaistow Underground station