Plaistow pupils join forces to quiz councillors and police
- Credit: Archant
Pupils held their local politicians and police officers to account by quizzing them on issues that matter to young people at Newham Town Hall.
Plaistow, Curwen, Selwyn, Lister Community, Portway, Cleves, Upton Cross, and Southern Road schools together form the E13 Learning Community who hold events together and collaborate to develop the education of the children in the north Plaistow area.
A group of around 20 pupils from the E13 Schools’ Council visited the council chambers in East Ham to present their concerns about local issues to PCSO Pam Khan, Cllr Alec Kellaway, Cllr Forhad Hussain, Cllr Neil Wilson, and council officers.
They put forward four issues in consultation with their classmates to present their concerns around crime, environment, racism, and access to Olympic facilities.
The youngsters proved to be effective negotiators as, by the end of the session, plans were put in place for a litter-pick day as part of a wider litter campaign; support and training to empower students and parents to report low-level crime and anti-social behaviour; youth panels set up in local schools; a petition around access to Olympic Stadium facilities; the students pledged to get more involved in Paralympic Legacy projects; and they wish to campaign to raise awareness of, and tackle, racism.
You may also want to watch:
The work was also carried out in partnership with The East London Communities Organisation (TELCO).
- 1 Stephen Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 2 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 3 'That is what this club is about' as Mark Noble wants to find West Ham fan
- 4 New primary school in Stratford welcomes first reception class
- 5 Police appeal to bystanders in alleged rape case
- 6 Indian restaurants to try in Newham, as recommended by readers
- 7 New Covid vaccine centres to open across east London
- 8 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 9 Campaigners protest City Farm closure at Town Hall with 6,000-strong petition
- 10 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder