Plaistow pupils join forces to quiz councillors and police
- Credit: Archant
Pupils held their local politicians and police officers to account by quizzing them on issues that matter to young people at Newham Town Hall.
Plaistow, Curwen, Selwyn, Lister Community, Portway, Cleves, Upton Cross, and Southern Road schools together form the E13 Learning Community who hold events together and collaborate to develop the education of the children in the north Plaistow area.
A group of around 20 pupils from the E13 Schools’ Council visited the council chambers in East Ham to present their concerns about local issues to PCSO Pam Khan, Cllr Alec Kellaway, Cllr Forhad Hussain, Cllr Neil Wilson, and council officers.
They put forward four issues in consultation with their classmates to present their concerns around crime, environment, racism, and access to Olympic facilities.
The youngsters proved to be effective negotiators as, by the end of the session, plans were put in place for a litter-pick day as part of a wider litter campaign; support and training to empower students and parents to report low-level crime and anti-social behaviour; youth panels set up in local schools; a petition around access to Olympic Stadium facilities; the students pledged to get more involved in Paralympic Legacy projects; and they wish to campaign to raise awareness of, and tackle, racism.
The work was also carried out in partnership with The East London Communities Organisation (TELCO).
- 1 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 2 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 3 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 4 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 5 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
- 6 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 7 Leyton Orient boss Jackett hoping to strengthen squad
- 8 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
- 9 New boy Brown 'buzzing' to help Leyton Orient
- 10 Beckton children’s hospice given £5k to replace stolen garden equipment