Plaistow Primary School closed due to bad smell
- Credit: Archant
440 children have an unexpected day off today after a primary school in Plaistow was closed due to a bad smell.
Pupils and parents were turned away at the gates of Plaistow Primary School in Junction Road after a technical problem.
A council spokeswoman explained: “Plaistow Primary School has been closed today after a piece of cleaning equipment overheated and caused a pungent smell throughout the school.
“The head teacher and caretaker tried to dispel the fumes by opening windows, but by the time teachers arrived it remained very unpleasant, and a decision was taken to close the school for the day as a precaution.
“Parents were contacted by text, and others were informed at the school gate by staff members.
You may also want to watch:
“No-one suffered any ill effects and the school will re-open tomorrow.”
- 1 Silvertown scrap yard blaze burns throughout night as crews remain on scene
- 2 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 3 Newham's governance referendum: the case for both options
- 4 Silvertown scrapyard blaze under control after crews battle for nine hours
- 5 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 6 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 7 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 8 Police name victim of Custom House fatal shooting and stabbing
- 9 Staff 'overjoyed' as nursery opens in Stratford
- 10 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election