Plaistow Primary School closed due to bad smell
- Credit: Archant
440 children have an unexpected day off today after a primary school in Plaistow was closed due to a bad smell.
Pupils and parents were turned away at the gates of Plaistow Primary School in Junction Road after a technical problem.
A council spokeswoman explained: “Plaistow Primary School has been closed today after a piece of cleaning equipment overheated and caused a pungent smell throughout the school.
“The head teacher and caretaker tried to dispel the fumes by opening windows, but by the time teachers arrived it remained very unpleasant, and a decision was taken to close the school for the day as a precaution.
“Parents were contacted by text, and others were informed at the school gate by staff members.
You may also want to watch:
“No-one suffered any ill effects and the school will re-open tomorrow.”
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 3 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 4 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 5 Carpenters Estate neighbours to vote on redevelopment plans
- 6 High Court judge rules no further action needed over embargo breach by Newham company boss
- 7 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 8 Brilliant moment for Okoflex as he nets in West Ham's win at Celtic
- 9 Man injured as glass falls from Canning Town bus station canopy
- 10 Boy, 16, found stabbed in Custom House