Plaistow father alarmed by bites after son’s school trip
- Credit: Melissa Page
A father has raised concerns about an outdoor education centre after his son returned from a school trip covered in bites.
Jason Johnson’s son Alfie went to Newham Council-owned Fairplay House in Witham, Essex, along with classmates from Tollgate Primary School this month.
When the 10-year-old returned after the three-day excursion, his mother Nicola, 40, noticed her son’s face was covered in small, red bites.
“He was withdrawn for a good few days and was teased at school because he was covered,” said Jason.
After a visit to the family doctor the parents discovered the bites were caused by bed bugs.
You may also want to watch:
Jason, 42, added: “My son doesn’t like to complain, but you can’t have children coming to your premises and not take care of what you’re meant to be taking care of.”
After hearing about Alfie’s bites, his school, in Barclay Road, Plaistow, repaid his parents the £45 cost of the trip and launched an investigation.
- 1 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 2 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 3 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 4 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 5 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 6 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 7 How Ben Levinson OBE has helped turn around Kensington Primary School
- 8 Tokyo or bust for Newham Beagles and Olympic hero Sir Mo Farah
- 9 Clouds, rain and sunny intervals: East London weather forecast this week
- 10 Levels youngsters sign Premier League and Football League contracts
Headteacher Tom Canning said: “When I found out I was so mortified.
“We have used the centre for 17 years without incident and this is the only time this has happened.”
A council spokeswoman said: “We are sorry that any child has been bitten by bed bugs during their stay. This is the first incident of bed bugs that Fairplay House has experienced in 53 years of operation.
“When we became aware of the issue we took immediate action and brought in a pest control company who treated the rooms at the centre with chemical sprays. Additionally, we are also replacing all the mattresses at the centre.”
She added that all schools have been written to and that after a risk assessment, the centre would remain open as only four of the 16 rooms were affected.