Partnership praised as joint Stratford campus built
The benefits of working together were celebrated as a joint university campus began to take shape in Stratford.
The leaders of the new �33million Birkbeck and University of East London campus praised collaboration at a ceremony marking the completion of the first stage in the construction of the building.
They spoke about the advantages of partnership, and study opportunities to be offered at the campus, during the topping out event last week (September 24). Staff and governors also celebrated the completion of the main structure of the five-storey building, to be called University Square, Stratford.
The campus in Stratford’s Cultural Quarter will open next autumn and will be able to cater for a total of 3,400 students from Birkbeck and UEL. It will offer flexible part-time, full-time, day and evening study opportunities at both undergraduate and postgraduate level for people living and working in East London. Many courses will be on offer, in a diverse range of fields, including Law, Business and the creative industries.
Professor Patrick McGhee, Vice-Chancellor of the University of East London, spoke about providing education to disadvantaged communities living in East London, and of “an unbeatable partnership” between UEL and Birkbeck’s model of part-time evening higher education. He said: “I am delighted to be here in Stratford. We really are at the centre of regeneration in terms of transport, sport and commerce. There is a strong sense of community regeneration here.”
You may also want to watch:
Professor David Latchman, Master of Birkbeck, said: “When we first thought about coming to East London in 2005 it was before the Olympics had been awarded to London, and we will ensure that the people of East London gain the skills to benefit fully from the Olympic legacy.”
To mark the occasion, Professors McGhee and Latchman both received, and signed, a visitors’ book from Andy Stoney, Regional Director for building firm Volker Fitzpatrick. Andy Stoney said: “The building is starting to take shape now. It is certainly a landmark in the area.”
- 1 Neighbour reports 'intolerable' antisocial car meets around ABBA Arena building site
- 2 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 3 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 6 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500
- 7 Campaigners claim ULEZ expansion benefit 'undone' by Silvertown Tunnel project
- 8 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 9 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 10 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
Designed by Make architects, the 8,600 square metres of facilities at University Square Stratford will include a 300-seat lecture theatre, learning centre, student support centre, seminar rooms, and administrative offices, all surrounding a light-filled atrium.