Paris becomes home for Canning Town’s Lauren
- Credit: Archant
Lauren Shirley is among thousands of teenagers getting used to university life. What sets her apart is the fact that her lectures will be taking place in Paris.
Lauren, a former student at St Angela’s and St Bonaventure’s Sixth Form, in Forest Gate is embarking on the next leg of her education in what is considered to be one of the world’s most beautiful cities.
Lauren, 19, from Canning Town has had a lifelong love of languages and always knew she wanted to pursue her studies in France. She was thrilled when she was only one of fifty British students selected to study at the world famous University of London Institute in Paris.
Overlooking the iconic Eiffel Tower, the university will be Lauren’s home for the next three years and she knew instantly it was the ideal place for her after an amazing taster day back in February.
Her mum Liz, said: “ We took her last week so she settles in before her tutorials start this week. We Skype most nights which is reassuring but I am so happy that she is doing something she loves. I am obviously very anxious too that she is so far away, in another country, but Lauren has always been very determined. She is brave and knows what she wants and we are so proud of her.”
You may also want to watch:
Lauren plans a career in European Politics after university but for now is looking forward to life in the beautiful city of Paris.
- 1 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
- 2 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 3 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 4 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 5 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 6 Labour Party investigates second Newham councillor over antisemitism
- 7 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 8 Newham housing association offers homes to Hackney Council with £10m price tag
- 9 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 10 Stratford dance and music hub gets £700k boost