Oxford University head of admissions visits East Ham sixth form
- Credit: Archant
A group of students from a newly opened sixth form gained advice about applying for university from the head of admissions at Oxford University.
Mike Nicholson, Head of Undergraduate Admission at Oxford University spent the day at Brampton Manor Academy where he spoke to Year 12 students.
He spoke to them about the admissions process for Oxford, and indeed all Russell Group universities, which include the UK’s most prestigious Higher Education institutions. In particular, Mike gave Brampton Manor students advice on how to make the most of their applications, and what the very best universities expect from prospective degree students.
The students at the school will be applying to university for the first time. The Brampton Manor Sixth Form opened in September 2012 with the specific aim of providing a first class academic education for local young people, and helping them to gain entry to Britain’s best universities, including of course, Oxford and Cambridge.
There is national concern at the low numbers of state school students who gain entry to our very best universities, and Brampton Manor is focused on providing the right academic and supportive environment to enable talented Newham students achieve their aspirations of studying at Britain’s finest institutions.
You may also want to watch:
Year 12 student Shifa Patel said: “ It was a fantastic to meet Mike Nicholson and to gain a great insight into the admissions process for Oxford University. The school is encouraging us to apply to the best universities and is providing lots of support with our applications. It has been immensely helpful”.
- 1 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 2 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 3 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 4 Labour Party investigates second Newham councillor over antisemitism
- 5 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 6 Lockdown in Newham having a 'positive' effect on Covid-19 case rate
- 7 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
- 8 Covid funding boost for Newham homeless and young people charities
- 9 Trust partnership helps free school meals pupils to eat healthy at home
- 10 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings