Oxford University head of admissions visits East Ham sixth form
- Credit: Archant
A group of students from a newly opened sixth form gained advice about applying for university from the head of admissions at Oxford University.
Mike Nicholson, Head of Undergraduate Admission at Oxford University spent the day at Brampton Manor Academy where he spoke to Year 12 students.
He spoke to them about the admissions process for Oxford, and indeed all Russell Group universities, which include the UK’s most prestigious Higher Education institutions. In particular, Mike gave Brampton Manor students advice on how to make the most of their applications, and what the very best universities expect from prospective degree students.
The students at the school will be applying to university for the first time. The Brampton Manor Sixth Form opened in September 2012 with the specific aim of providing a first class academic education for local young people, and helping them to gain entry to Britain’s best universities, including of course, Oxford and Cambridge.
There is national concern at the low numbers of state school students who gain entry to our very best universities, and Brampton Manor is focused on providing the right academic and supportive environment to enable talented Newham students achieve their aspirations of studying at Britain’s finest institutions.
You may also want to watch:
Year 12 student Shifa Patel said: “ It was a fantastic to meet Mike Nicholson and to gain a great insight into the admissions process for Oxford University. The school is encouraging us to apply to the best universities and is providing lots of support with our applications. It has been immensely helpful”.
- 1 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 2 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 3 Operose: Addressing 'understandable' concerns over GP takeover
- 4 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 5 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 6 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 7 Housing campaigners to stage protest in Canning Town over empty homes
- 8 Newcastle's late Willock winner hits West Ham hopes
- 9 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 10 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing