Outstanding Newham students honoured with awards
- Credit: Archant
Students who helped their community and classmates were among those honoured for their achievements at an east London college.
Leaders from Newham College and businesses handed out six awards to 20 students for being classroom advocates or doing voluntary work.
Another eighteen were winners and runners up in eight other award categories for their academic achievements and for overcoming personal obstacles. Nominations for the awards were made by staff at the college in Welfare Road, Stratford.
Over 400 students, family, friends, staff, business leaders and celebrities attended Newham College’s annual Outstanding Stars 2013 event at the Troxy venue in Limehouse recently.
Parin Bahl, Chair of the College Board of Governors, said: “For our awards winners the ceremony is both an end of a successful year and a beginning of new opportunities.
You may also want to watch:
“There can be no doubt that they are extraordinary people. They have been supported by their fellow students, many with similar successes, teachers, family, friends, employers, and sponsors. All deserve recognition and they are a credit to themselves and to our community.”
Student of the Year was Ellie Doughty, 19, from Plaistow, who did not let her childcare obligations stop her from completing her studies and her work placements. She has won a place at London Metropolitan University to study criminology and youth studies.
- 1 Tributes to 'hero' charity founder who dedicated life to Newham children
- 2 Former boxer compared feet with Prince Philip during visit to club
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
- 5 Officers donate Easter eggs to hospitals
- 6 Mural sparks criticism after 'crime and murders' describe North Woolwich
- 7 David Moyes salutes loyal Mark Noble ahead of his 400th West Ham match
- 8 Newham men who bought BMW M5 in £112,000 fraud sentenced
- 9 How staff helped Plaistow pupils win £1m of top college scholarships
- 10 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff full of praise for Cheltenham Town after loss
Janice Chan, 23, from East Ham, who is completing a diploma in retail, helps other students in their work when she finishes hers. She was given the Excellent Role Model Award.
Toufica Griffin, learning difficulties and disabilities lecturer received the Staff of the Year award.
Faryad Qandagha, from Newham, who lost all his family during the Afghanistan conflict, received the Learning Revolution Trust Award.
Paralympian Amy Marren, 14, who was born in Newham, received the Learning Revolution Trust Award Special Sports Award. She was 4th in the London 2012 Paralympic Games 400m freestyle swimming and 5th in the 100m backstroke.
Harun Chowdhury, 22, from East Ham, who is completing a retail apprenticeship, was named Apprentice of the Year.