Opera based on life of child refugee who went from jail to university shortlisted for award
- Credit: Lidia Crisafulli
An opera based on the life of a refugee who turned his life around has been shortlisted for an award.
Full Circle, based on the story of Canning Town resident Jonathan Lofulo, was the result of a year-long collaboration between Newham Music and Lister Community School.
The opera, which was devised by more than 300 young people, is now in the running in the outstanding musical initiative category at the Music Teacher Awards for Excellence.
John Bergin, CEO of Newham Music, said: “In a busy modern world it’s so easy to miss the moments that can inspire us to think differently and to do better. Jonathan Lofulo’s story is one of those moments.”
Jonathan fled the war-torn Democratic Republic of Congo aged 10 and despite showing early promise as a footballer, fell in with the wrong crowd and served a prison sentence for burglary.
You may also want to watch:
On his release, he completed an education studies course at the University of East London.
- 1 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 2 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 3 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 6 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 7 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 8 Antonio 'surprised' to score West Ham winner against Tottenham
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber