Opera based on life of child refugee who went from jail to university shortlisted for award
- Credit: Lidia Crisafulli
An opera based on the life of a refugee who turned his life around has been shortlisted for an award.
Full Circle, based on the story of Canning Town resident Jonathan Lofulo, was the result of a year-long collaboration between Newham Music and Lister Community School.
The opera, which was devised by more than 300 young people, is now in the running in the outstanding musical initiative category at the Music Teacher Awards for Excellence.
John Bergin, CEO of Newham Music, said: “In a busy modern world it’s so easy to miss the moments that can inspire us to think differently and to do better. Jonathan Lofulo’s story is one of those moments.”
Jonathan fled the war-torn Democratic Republic of Congo aged 10 and despite showing early promise as a footballer, fell in with the wrong crowd and served a prison sentence for burglary.
You may also want to watch:
On his release, he completed an education studies course at the University of East London.
- 1 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 2 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 3 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 4 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 5 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 6 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 7 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 8 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 9 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 10 'Life-saving' service at Canning Town homeless charity scoops £150k