Opera based on life of child refugee who went from jail to university shortlisted for award
- Credit: Lidia Crisafulli
An opera based on the life of a refugee who turned his life around has been shortlisted for an award.
Full Circle, based on the story of Canning Town resident Jonathan Lofulo, was the result of a year-long collaboration between Newham Music and Lister Community School.
The opera, which was devised by more than 300 young people, is now in the running in the outstanding musical initiative category at the Music Teacher Awards for Excellence.
John Bergin, CEO of Newham Music, said: “In a busy modern world it’s so easy to miss the moments that can inspire us to think differently and to do better. Jonathan Lofulo’s story is one of those moments.”
Jonathan fled the war-torn Democratic Republic of Congo aged 10 and despite showing early promise as a footballer, fell in with the wrong crowd and served a prison sentence for burglary.
You may also want to watch:
On his release, he completed an education studies course at the University of East London.
- 1 Clapton Community FC members demand 'Justice for Sami' outside Forest Gate Police Station
- 2 Police officer to appear in court after death of man in East Ham
- 3 Restored Victorian warehouse in Stratford to become dance and music hub
- 4 Second jabs hub opening at Westfield as ExCeL London vaccination centre soon to close
- 5 Pupils send 'awe-inspiring' accounts of pandemic into the future with time capsule
- 6 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 7 College teacher: Students and teachers 'lose trust' over government's Covid response
- 8 Town hall chief says Newham 'doing everything it can' to ensure polling is 'safe and fair'
- 9 Meeting ex-banker London mayoral candidate Brian Rose
- 10 Stratford School Academy pupil helps launch fund in memory of Prince Philip