Olympian Donna Fraser coaches Newham College athletes
- Credit: JOHN CONNOR PRESS ASSOCIATES
Newham College students trained for an athletics competition on Monday with former Olympian Donna Fraser.
The 400m sprinter, who competed in the Sydney Olympics, joined ten youngsters on the outdoor track at Newham Leisure Centre in Plaistow to help them prepare for the EDF Energy Indoor Athletics Challenge Final at Lee Valley Indoor Athletics Centre on Thursday.
She said: “The students were brilliant and there is some great talent amongst them.
“You can see just how they’ve come on since we launched the challenge.”
The aspiring sports professionals will also join students from NewVIc in Plaistow and Sir John Cass’s Foundation Redcoat School in Stepney.
You may also want to watch:
Abdulkadir Abdi Ali, an 18-year-old sports science student at Newham College, said that training for the challenge has improved his fitness.
He added: “I would like to qualify as a fitness instructor and help individuals especially from Somali backgrounds to improve their well-being and be fitter.”
- 1 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 2 Labour Party investigates second Newham councillor over antisemitism
- 3 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 4 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
- 5 Lockdown in Newham having a 'positive' effect on Covid-19 case rate
- 6 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 7 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 8 Newham housing association offers homes to Hackney Council with £10m price tag
- 9 Covid funding boost for Newham homeless and young people charities
- 10 West Ham reach Continental Cup last four with win over Durham