Olympian Donna Fraser coaches Newham College athletes
- Credit: JOHN CONNOR PRESS ASSOCIATES
Newham College students trained for an athletics competition on Monday with former Olympian Donna Fraser.
The 400m sprinter, who competed in the Sydney Olympics, joined ten youngsters on the outdoor track at Newham Leisure Centre in Plaistow to help them prepare for the EDF Energy Indoor Athletics Challenge Final at Lee Valley Indoor Athletics Centre on Thursday.
She said: “The students were brilliant and there is some great talent amongst them.
“You can see just how they’ve come on since we launched the challenge.”
The aspiring sports professionals will also join students from NewVIc in Plaistow and Sir John Cass’s Foundation Redcoat School in Stepney.
You may also want to watch:
Abdulkadir Abdi Ali, an 18-year-old sports science student at Newham College, said that training for the challenge has improved his fitness.
He added: “I would like to qualify as a fitness instructor and help individuals especially from Somali backgrounds to improve their well-being and be fitter.”
- 1 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 2 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 3 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 4 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 5 Flights from London City Airport to Switzerland resume as hub readies for return to international travel
- 6 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
- 7 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 8 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 9 Newham saw no deaths from Covid-19 at the end of April, figures show
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation