Olympian Donna Fraser coaches Newham College athletes
- Credit: JOHN CONNOR PRESS ASSOCIATES
Newham College students trained for an athletics competition on Monday with former Olympian Donna Fraser.
The 400m sprinter, who competed in the Sydney Olympics, joined ten youngsters on the outdoor track at Newham Leisure Centre in Plaistow to help them prepare for the EDF Energy Indoor Athletics Challenge Final at Lee Valley Indoor Athletics Centre on Thursday.
She said: “The students were brilliant and there is some great talent amongst them.
“You can see just how they’ve come on since we launched the challenge.”
The aspiring sports professionals will also join students from NewVIc in Plaistow and Sir John Cass’s Foundation Redcoat School in Stepney.
You may also want to watch:
Abdulkadir Abdi Ali, an 18-year-old sports science student at Newham College, said that training for the challenge has improved his fitness.
He added: “I would like to qualify as a fitness instructor and help individuals especially from Somali backgrounds to improve their well-being and be fitter.”
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 3 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 4 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 5 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 6 Carpenters Estate neighbours to vote on redevelopment plans
- 7 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 8 Brilliant moment for Okoflex as he nets in West Ham's win at Celtic
- 9 High Court judge rules no further action needed over embargo breach by Newham company boss
- 10 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win