Olympian Donna Fraser coaches Newham College athletes
- Credit: JOHN CONNOR PRESS ASSOCIATES
Newham College students trained for an athletics competition on Monday with former Olympian Donna Fraser.
The 400m sprinter, who competed in the Sydney Olympics, joined ten youngsters on the outdoor track at Newham Leisure Centre in Plaistow to help them prepare for the EDF Energy Indoor Athletics Challenge Final at Lee Valley Indoor Athletics Centre on Thursday.
She said: “The students were brilliant and there is some great talent amongst them.
“You can see just how they’ve come on since we launched the challenge.”
The aspiring sports professionals will also join students from NewVIc in Plaistow and Sir John Cass’s Foundation Redcoat School in Stepney.
You may also want to watch:
Abdulkadir Abdi Ali, an 18-year-old sports science student at Newham College, said that training for the challenge has improved his fitness.
He added: “I would like to qualify as a fitness instructor and help individuals especially from Somali backgrounds to improve their well-being and be fitter.”
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 4 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 5 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 8 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 9 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines