College wins two national teaching awards
- Credit: NewVIc
A college in Plaistow has won two silver Pearson national teaching awards.
Newham Sixth Form College (NewVIc) was honoured in the further education lecturer and team of the year categories - recognising curriculum team manager for extended studies and history teacher Carina Ancell and the performing arts department respectively.
Selected from thousands of nominations, they were among 102 Pearson National Teaching Silver Award winners across the country.
NewVIC principal and chief executive Mandeep Gill said: "Carina has worked incredibly hard to support, encourage and motivate students to achieve their full potential, resulting in the highest number of students progressing to Russell Group universities.
“The performing arts team have all worked incredibly hard to push boundaries and provide fantastic opportunities and experiences for students.”
You may also want to watch:
Silver winners have now been shortlisted to one of 16 Gold awards later in the year, in a ceremony to be broadcast on the BBC.
- 1 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 2 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 3 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 4 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 5 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 6 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 7 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 8 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 9 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 10 'Life-saving' service at Canning Town homeless charity scoops £150k