College wins two national teaching awards
- Credit: NewVIc
A college in Plaistow has won two silver Pearson national teaching awards.
Newham Sixth Form College (NewVIc) was honoured in the further education lecturer and team of the year categories - recognising curriculum team manager for extended studies and history teacher Carina Ancell and the performing arts department respectively.
Selected from thousands of nominations, they were among 102 Pearson National Teaching Silver Award winners across the country.
NewVIC principal and chief executive Mandeep Gill said: "Carina has worked incredibly hard to support, encourage and motivate students to achieve their full potential, resulting in the highest number of students progressing to Russell Group universities.
“The performing arts team have all worked incredibly hard to push boundaries and provide fantastic opportunities and experiences for students.”
You may also want to watch:
Silver winners have now been shortlisted to one of 16 Gold awards later in the year, in a ceremony to be broadcast on the BBC.
- 1 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 2 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 3 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 6 Sir David Amess remembered as 'loved husband, father, MP and St Bon's boy'
- 7 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches
- 8 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 9 Candle causes Stratford flat fire which saw two people in hospital
- 10 Newham to 'bring back the broom' as recycling gets boost