BT Sport show created by NewVIc students to premiere on Boxing Day
- Credit: BT Sport
A show created by students from Newham Sixth Form College (NewVIc) will be broadcast on BT Sport on Boxing Day.
Twelve media students with no previous experience created the BT Sport Takeover show during an eight-week course run by BT Sport at Plexal, an innovation centre and co-working space at Here East in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
In its second year, the course aims to teach the students how to film and produce a television programme.
Level 3 media production student Wiktoria Przybyla said: “It was an incredible experience - eight weeks of pure fun and learning so much.
“Being in this environment and working on the floor of an actual studio on a professional video and shadowing staff, you don’t do that every day.
You may also want to watch:
“I can take this experience with me to help me in my future career.
"It has also widened my thoughts about media production as I have always had a passion for it and where it could lead, I can’t talk highly enough for what this experience has meant to me.”
- 1 Police officer to appear in court after death of man in East Ham
- 2 Clapton Community FC members demand 'Justice for Sami' outside Forest Gate Police Station
- 3 Second jabs hub opening at Westfield as ExCeL London vaccination centre soon to close
- 4 Stratford School Academy pupil helps launch fund in memory of Prince Philip
- 5 College teacher: Students and teachers 'lose trust' over government's Covid response
- 6 Hammers 'will keep fighting' says Fornals ahead of derby date
- 7 Pupils send 'awe-inspiring' accounts of pandemic into the future with time capsule
- 8 Feminism, corner shops and bricks: Here's what's happening in Newham Heritage Month
- 9 Community group founder calls for mandatory ethnic pay gap reporting
- 10 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
BT Sport Takeover is a half-hour magazine style studio show created by students, based on lifestyle, culture and events in the sporting world.
The programme, presented by broadcaster Pippa Monique and the Takeover creators, includes three short films which deal with the topics of inclusivity, sustainability and community.
NewVIc media teacher Maria Kelesidi said: “It was a superb learning opportunity on all aspects of production.
“We are extremely proud of these students and what they have achieved with the project and very lucky to be working with BT Sport, giving students this experience in a real working environment for two years running.”
Jamie Hindhaugh, of BT Sport, added: “Considering this was their first foray into television, the standard is very high.
"To produce not one, but three thought-provoking pieces is nothing short of incredible.
"BT Sport Takeover is an important part of our commitment to encourage diversity in the broadcast industry and to give opportunities to the east London community within which we are based.”
The first broadcast of the show will be at 6.45pm on December 26 on BT Sport 2.